DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

48 minutes ago, Tabe said:

So basically we're getting video versions of the old 28:58 updates they just to do? 

Sounds like. 

Did they actually announce a start date for Greenberg's show.  Can't find out anything via Google, if they did.

I still enjoy Mike and Mike quite a bit.  Kinda sad it's heading for the end.  Greenberg essentially hosting a reboot of Cold Pizza doesn't sound all that interesting to me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Sounds like. 

Did they actually announce a start date for Greenberg's show.  Can't find out anything via Google, if they did.

I still enjoy Mike and Mike quite a bit.  Kinda sad it's heading for the end.  Greenberg essentially hosting a reboot of Cold Pizza doesn't sound all that interesting to me.

Deitsch:

There is finally a start date—or at least an anticipated one—for the start of the show. The show is scheduled to debut the first or second week of January, tied to either the college football playoff semifinals on Monday, Jan 1. or the college football national title game (which airs Monday, Jan. 8).

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Frank Deford

I used to walk from the IU campus everyday downtown to pick up a copy of the National, and we got the "next day" version.

And always loved "fake frank deford" and his wispy pencil thin mustache on the old Lebatard radio show.

I know this is the sports section but not only was Deford an incredible journalist in all sports but important in the modern history of pro wrestling.  You can argue that he helped legitimize Dave Meltzer by offering him a spot for the National, the short run all sports newspaper.   

On 5/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, hammerva said:

I know this is the sports section but not only was Deford an incredible journalist in all sports but important in the modern history of pro wrestling.  You can argue that he helped legitimize Dave Meltzer by offering him a spot for the National, the short run all sports newspaper.   

What did Dave cover?  I read the National daily, but, 25 years later, remember practically nothing about it.  I can;t remember who wrote for it or what they covered.

He had a weekly wrestling column. Deford once said Dave was the best writer covering  his particular beat in sports. 

From the Wiki:

Deford immediately set out to get what was referred to by Bill Simmons as a "murderer's row" of sportswriters to join The National.Deford said that hiring Atlanta Journal-Constitution sports editor Van McKenzie away from the paper was the "best thing he did" and was the linchpin for getting many of the writers who eventually signed up to write for The National interested. Once McKenzie was hired, he brought his auto racing writer Ed Hinton and investigative reporter and NFL analyst Chris Mortensen with him. Norman Chad, who was writing for the Washington Post at the time, was hired, as was New York Daily News writer Mike Lupica, Rocky Mountain News writer Jay Mariotti, Wrestling Observer Newsletter writer Dave Meltzer, Dallas Morning News writer Ivan Maisel, Boston Globe writer Leigh Montville, and various others.

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Denver Post's Terry Frei had a nuclear take on Takuma Sato's victory in Sunday's Indy 500.  

592c19361600002200ddd4ca.png

Mr. Frei is now seeking employment. 

This was shocking to me. I've been reading Frei's stuff for years and he always seemed like a class act. I guess you never know for sure.

Sporting News is now saying that John Clayton was also part of the ESPN layoffs.

But hey - Good thing they were able to hire Chip Kelly

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sporting News is now saying that John Clayton was also part of the ESPN layoffs.

But hey - Good thing they were able to hire Chip Kelly

Because less time for analysis and cogent thought = more time for HAWT TAEKS!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today was Bomani Jones's last day on Highly Questionable. I'll miss him on there as Highly Questionable was the only show on ESPN that was consistently great.  I wonder who they replace him with or if they cancel the show for another NFL recap show.

I'm finding it hard to enjoy the last few months of Mike and Mike after hearing the rumors the end of the show had driven a wedge between them and they basically don't speak to each other off-camera.

I'll miss Jones on Highly Questionable but I'm hoping his new show interests me.

I still have yet to watch Skip Bayless' new show.  I rarely remember Fox Sports One is even a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Get in. Wreck shit. Leave

I saw a tweet with the Joker hospital scene gif from The Dark Knight right after this thread came up and absolutely lost it.

ESPN's Vikings writer has announced that he's leaving ESPN at the end of July to become the lead beat writer for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

There was a time when that process generally worked the other way around.