DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

Actually, there may be legal things in place preventing it until she actually comes back to work, but I don't know for sure. Might be a state thing. Also, Jaws was let go when he bit Jon Gruden and turned out he was a henchmen for Dan Snyder, AKA Dr. Huh?, all along.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Actually, there may be legal things in place preventing it until she actually comes back to work, but I don't know for sure. Might be a state thing. Also, Jaws was let go when he bit Jon Gruden and turned out he was a henchmen for Dan Snyder, AKA Dr. Huh?, all along.

Story I read about Walsh said she was told she was being let go on the day she was due to return from maternity leave.  Granted, they could probably have given her a heads up before she came back north.  She and her husband had relocated to Florida during her pregnancy and only returned to New England when it was time for her to start back to work.  They moved to Florida to be closer to her doctor during the pregnacy, though (high risk) so I wasn't clear if they were wanting to stay in Florida long-term or not.

13 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Story I read about Walsh said she was told she was being let go on the day she was due to return from maternity leave.  Granted, they could probably have given her a heads up before she came back north.  She and her husband had relocated to Florida during her pregnancy and only returned to New England when it was time for her to start back to work.  They moved to Florida to be closer to her doctor during the pregnacy, though (high risk) so I wasn't clear if they were wanting to stay in Florida long-term or not.

Is that one of those fire people in person type of things?  Seriously, flying from Florida to Bumfuck, CT just to tell me I'm fired is a good way to get cursed the fuck out.

She, obviously, wants another job in the industry, so I doubt she would do that, but if you were some old-timer who was going to retire soon anyway, go for it all. Hell, punch out a few executives while you're at it. Go out with style. Kicking and screaming in hand-cuffs.

38 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is that one of those fire people in person type of things?  Seriously, flying from Florida to Bumfuck, CT just to tell me I'm fired is a good way to get cursed the fuck out.

From what I have heard, some/many were done over the phone with a guy reading from a script with an HR person present. 

Chris Berman's wife of 30+ years was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon.

http://deadspin.com/kathy-berman-wife-of-chris-berman-dies-in-car-crash-1795084551  

I am no fan of Berman, but I cannot imagine the horror of losing one's spouse so suddenly.  

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Chris Berman's wife of 30+ years was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon.

http://deadspin.com/kathy-berman-wife-of-chris-berman-dies-in-car-crash-1795084551  

I am no fan of Berman, but I cannot imagine the horror of losing one's spouse so suddenly.  

Am I the only one who never understood the Berman backlash?  He's a blowhard, but he's a fun blowhard, and fun is pretty much the only reason I watch sports.  

Berman is the A1 example of ESPN's transition from an entertaining way to deliver sports to sports being delivered by entertainers, if that makes sense. 

Somewhere along the way, Berman felt that he was the star, not the athletes, certainly not the sports. All of his delivery became about putting himself and his catchphrases over, often at the expense of what was going on in the game or the highlights. And ESPN didn't help it by putting him in every single sport they had, when they had perfectly capable people of delivering the same information in a much clearer and/or better way.  

I'm not even getting into his alleged behavior behind the scenes to PA's, women, and other on-air talent.  

Sabrina Parr from ESPN Radio Cleveland has been fired for accusing Jabril Peppers (and later Joe Thomas) of having a drug problem, saying he's "high all the time."  

She later tweeted that her words had been taken out of context.  Which, you know, is impossible because she literally said all of this on the radio. 

"He's on the lean and the molly," Parr said on "The Really Big Show" on ESPN 850. "The guy's not going to make it. He's not going to make it through the season.

"He's another Josh Gordon ... I've seen it first-hand from a different vantage point, and it's the same thing all over again. How are you already high out of your mind, and you've only been here for a week."

Even after show hosts Tony Rizzo and Aaron Goldhammer tried to get Parr to walk back her statements, she doubled down and even joked that 10-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas was "on the lean," which is also known as "purple drink" or "sizzurp."

"I guess I can't say certain things," Parr said before she was interrupted by one of her co-hosts with, "No. You can't."

Parr tried to defend herself on Twitter, saying her comments were taken out of context, but later deleted the tweet.

Bringing up Josh "I've never failed a drug test that an airline pilot couldn't pass" Gordon still hurts my soul.  That dude is so talented, but can't help himself to barely fail drug tests over and over again.  

Speaking of fired, Sabrina Parr got fired for pulling that Benita Butrell bit with Jabril Peppers. Maybe she can work at MediaTakeout or Bossip where that shit is tolerated.

tumblr_ned7297lHh1qfouavo1_400.jpg

"Child on so much lean, he tried to drink his baby sister's cough medicine with a Capri Sun straw...but I ain't the one to gossip so you ain't heard that from me!"

• Like 4

Man, I'm listening to what she said. Boy, she sounds like some jaded NFL groupie who they don't let into the parties so she decided to spread some unsubstantiated thirdhand info she got from Lipstick Alley. How in the flying fuck did she get on the airwaves with that shit? Do they vet these people beforehand?

43 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Sports Radio is worse than TV for being largely populated by people that do nothing but hot takes. 

Pretty much this. On WFAN like the only good host is Tony Paige and he's in the graveyard shift. Guy is intelligent, makes good points and treats callers with respect. But they'll trot out garbage like Boomer and Cartoon, Joe and Evan and of course the abominable Mike Francessa. Factor in Yankee games called by John Sterling and basically it's the official radio station of Hell.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 9:26 PM, sabremike said:

Pretty much this. On WFAN like the only good host is Tony Paige and he's in the graveyard shift. Guy is intelligent, makes good points and treats callers with respect. But they'll trot out garbage like Boomer and Cartoon, Joe and Evan and of course the abominable Mike Francessa. Factor in Yankee games called by John Sterling and basically it's the official radio station of Hell.

Not even Satan deserves WFAN.  C'mon now.

• Like 3

Per Yahoo - Here is how ESPN is making changes to SportsCenter

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/inside-espns-plan-reinvent-sportscenter-140002621.html

First, ESPN is launching SportsCenter Right Now: short-burst SportsCenter updates that will run throughout the day on TV and online.

The updates, up to 2 minutes in length, will be shot and produced quickly to cover news of the day, and immediately uploaded to ESPN’s home page, its mobile app, and to social media. They will run on TV in regular bursts between 7 am and 3 pm ET, and on digital platforms between 7 am and 6 pm ET. The updates will also air twice an hour during all ESPN daytime TV shows, as well as during halftime of primetime games on ESPN and on ABC. It all starts in August.

Think of SportsCenter Right Now like the short SportsCenter news updates that break into ESPN Radio programs twice an hour, except these will be videos. What’s new for ESPN is an evolution from simply selecting video clips from SportsCenter TV broadcasts and putting them online, to shooting and producing SportsCenter segments specifically for the web.

And part 2

And speaking of hosts, the second part of the news: ESPN has announced significant changes to its SportsCenter anchor roster.

Some of the shifts may surprise devoted viewers: Sage Steele, formerly the host of NBA Countdown, has signed a new, multiyear deal to anchor the 7 am SportsCenter, which will now air seven days a week (with Kevin Negandhi, Jay Harris, Randy Scott, Elle Duncan, and Matt Barrie joining); Steve Levy, John Anderson, and John Buccigross have all signed new deals to co-host the 11 pm SportsCenter, along with Kenny Mayne, who will regularly anchor from Bristol, Conn., headquarters for the first time in nearly a decade (he formerly hosted from LA); Hannah Storm, currently host of the 10 am SportsCenter, has a “prominent” new role that includes “high impact journalistic pieces” for SportsCenter and E:60; Neil Everett and Stan Verrett will continue to anchor the 1 am SportsCenter.

So bad news for those that thought Sage Steele was gone