DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Thought i was also quoted mike's post but didnt. My reasons:

1. The principle of the thing. I asked you not to send it. Why are you?

2. Environmentally wasteful.

3. Without proof, i wonder if they do it to boost their subscription numbers.

Circulation numbers, actually. So they can sell ads at a higher rate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because drafting a TE in the first round has worked so well for the Giants before

Grr...

RIPPA couldn't contain his loathing to one thread. Speaks volumes.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Wow, ESPN cut Henry Abbott, who's basically the grandfather of NBA blogging and built their True Hoop network.

Cold world, man.

Life comes at you fast, bruh.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Life comes at you fast, bruh.

So I haven't heard this anywhere else, but Miller has good sources:

EDIT: And now Chad Ford is out, just a couple of months before the draft.

Ed Werder said that ESPN asked him to still cover the draft after firing him and he said no

He seemed to also imply that Ron Jaworksi and Merril Hodge where also both fired too

“What happens without Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworski to ‘NFL Matchup?’ What happens to ‘NFL Insiders’ without a number of analysts, former general managers like Joe Banner and Mark Dominik? Are we really about to see a time when ESPN can no longer afford to cover its most valuable property in the way that historically it has?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/02/espn-asked-ed-werder-to-cover-the-nfl-draft-after-laying-him-off/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.4ded0624d887

Edited by RIPPA
Forgot the link

We now have Red Sox Racist-Truthers running one of our sports radio stations morning shows (we have two seperate sports radio stations)

He's a member of the morning team that gave us this bon mot back in 2003:

On September 29, 2003, during a segment called 'headlines', where they read and comment about current news stories, Callahan and his morning co-host John Dennis made racist comments while discussing a story about an escaped gorilla.[14] The gorilla had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo and had been recaptured at a bus stop. According to newspaper articles, the exchange allegedly was:[15]

Callahan: "They caught him at a bus stop, right -- he was like waiting to catch a bus out of town."
Dennis: "Yeah, yeah -- he's a METCO gorilla."
Callahan: "Heading out to Lexington."
Dennis: "Exactly."
METCO is a state program that buses inner-city Boston students to nearby suburban schools. The racist comments compared poor, mostly African-American children to gorillas.

I expect I'll end up regretting sticking my head down this particular rabbit hole, but.... do the "truthers" happen to have any theories about what Jones' motive might be?

As someone with Pirates season tickets who has seen his share of games in other stadiums, I've heard more racist comments from fans that I wanted to.  It happens.  I don't think it's a frequent problem, and I wonder how often the players hear these remarks above the din, but...

What kind of proof do they want?   

44 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

We now have Red Sox Racist-Truthers running one of our sports radio stations morning shows (we have two seperate sports radio stations)

He's a member of the morning team that gave us this bon mot back in 2003:

On September 29, 2003, during a segment called 'headlines', where they read and comment about current news stories, Callahan and his morning co-host John Dennis made racist comments while discussing a story about an escaped gorilla.[14] The gorilla had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo and had been recaptured at a bus stop. According to newspaper articles, the exchange allegedly was:[15]

Callahan: "They caught him at a bus stop, right -- he was like waiting to catch a bus out of town."
Dennis: "Yeah, yeah -- he's a METCO gorilla."
Callahan: "Heading out to Lexington."
Dennis: "Exactly."
METCO is a state program that buses inner-city Boston students to nearby suburban schools. The racist comments compared poor, mostly African-American children to gorillas.

How exactly did they keep their jobs? Was it a Mike and the Mad Dog "Oops we lost the tape" deal so they conveniently didn't have the damning evidence?

Also if truther idiot wants proof watch Jones losing his mind in the outfield. I doubt he was getting that upset because fans were yelling " You suck you bum" at him.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

How exactly did they keep their jobs? Was it a Mike and the Mad Dog "Oops we lost the tape" deal so they conveniently didn't have the damning evidence?

Also if truther idiot wants proof watch Jones losing his mind in the outfield. I doubt he was getting that upset because fans were yelling " You suck you bum" at him.

They were suspended two days, which turned into 2 weeks after several advertisers pulled out.

This yabo has also been suspended a couple years ago, when he suggested Erin Andrews was a bitch looking for a payout (from being spied on), and that if she weighed fifteen pounds heavier she'd be a waitress

As a black person who goes to plenty of sporting events, I don't believe anyone who says they've never heard someone called a racist slur at a stadium.  If I had to guess, I'd say I've heard some sort of racist comment 75% of the times I've been to a sporting event. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 3:29 AM, Ryan said:

That sounds like something The Mouse owns would do.

She was about to go back to work.  Yeah, I know it looks bad, but I don't really understand how else people expected ESPN to deal with her, unless the argument is that having kids and going on maternity leave should somehow exempt you from being fired.  She's being paid until her contract runs out or she finds a new job, so she's not really that worse off.

Was it ever confirmed Jaworski was let go?