DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

ESPN President John Skipper is resigning to deal with a substance addiction issue.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE that this happens at the same time the shit is hitting the fan too many years too late in Bristol.

Ryen Russillo last day with ESPN radio is tomorrow (12/22)

He will still do a weekly podcast for them through the summer

He said that ESPN offered to extend him but they wanted him to take on added responsibilities but not pay him more

It really does seem like commentating is a lost art these days. Commentators like Enberg and Scully felt like they were a distant relative rather than a corporate shill, which most modern announcers strike me as.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It really does seem like commentating is a lost art these days. Commentators like Enberg and Scully felt like they were a distant relative rather than a corporate shill, which most modern announcers strike me as.

Yeah, there is an issue with sports commentating that needs to be fixed, but I don't see it changing any time soon.  The issue is, we will watch sports despite the commentary.  We will celebrate good commentary when we hear it, but we aren't about to change the channel.  A lot of people hate Joe Buck, which I don't really understand, but he's been the head announcer of Fox forever.  I want either someone really knowledgeable or someone who feels like they are as big of a fan as I am.  I don't think we have more than 3 of either in all of sports.  

My least favorite thing is when someone clearly sees something wrong, but refuse to criticize it.  Jeff Van Gundy will never say anything negative about a coach even if the coach is clearly wrong.  You can criticize a decision without criticizing the person, he chooses to do neither.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Enberg was so great. So versatile. Legitimately in the argument for the best in football, basketball and tennis.

Al Michaels may be the last great announcer.

I don't think Al has been good, let alone great, in like 15 years. 

• RIPPA locked this topic