DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

On 11/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, Kyle Casey said:

Maybe I'm the only one here that still watches PTI, but I can't be the only one that's sick of Michael Wilbon's curmudgeon schtick. I still watch because I think he and Kornheiser still have good chemistry, but good lord, I just want to throw something at the tv when he just dismisses any sort of analytics and such. Terrible. "Get that junk out of here," indeed.

I find his anti-millennial gimmick to be even worse. I still watch PTI every day but it gets annoying at times. Not as annoying as Dan Le Batard's "I hate sports and won't watch it and just BS my way through" gimmick that he did last week on his radio show.

Apparently, ESPN Radio is going to go through some changes and Bomani Jones's show is being canceled and possibly be replaced by Will Cain. That would be awful radio for sure. Between this, his tv show being postponed to a later date and the new social media policy, I wonder if ESPN is trying to get Bomani to quit. Would be a shame cause I like him.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, Kyle Casey said:

Maybe I'm the only one here that still watches PTI, but I can't be the only one that's sick of Michael Wilbon's curmudgeon schtick. I still watch because I think he and Kornheiser still have good chemistry, but good lord, I just want to throw something at the tv when he just dismisses any sort of analytics and such. Terrible. "Get that junk out of here," indeed.

I find his anti-millennial gimmick to be even worse. I still watch PTI every day but it gets annoying at times. Not as annoying as Dan Le Batard's "I hate sports and won't watch it and just BS my way through" gimmick that he did last week on his radio show.

Apparently, ESPN Radio is going to go through some changes and Bomani Jones's show is being canceled and possibly be replaced by Will Cain. That would be awful radio for sure. Between this, his tv show being postponed to a later date and the new social media policy, I wonder if ESPN is trying to get Bomani to quit. Would be a shame cause I like him.

Fegler's the nitwit who has waged a public - and seemingly genuine - battle against men taking paternity leave to be there for the birth of their children.

I listened to the whole rant and was kinda astonished by the vitrol.  And I have the misfortune to live in Mark Madden's home market.  He makes it sound like Halladay never flew a plane before and decided to go up and try to stunt fly through mountain passes or bomb North Korea or something.  Apparently, if you have a family, Fegler thinks you should live in a box filled with padding.

I wonder what Fegler thinks about flying commercial.  I'm not a pilot, but I fly frequently for work and flying a small private plane has never struck me as any more or less risky than flying in a jet with a hundred other people.  Honestly, I feel like small planes are probably better maintained, have a lighter workload, and give you some semblance of control if a problem develops.  If I'm on a jet and it crashes, only thing I can do about it is fall to my death.

Just bewildering and offensive.

Felger has apologized: https://deadspin.com/boston-sports-radio-chud-apologizes-for-idiotic-rant-ab-1820304097

Roughly translated, "I thought I was being edgy and cool with my takes, because I need to drive people to my show by any means necessary because radio is a dead medium. Then someone above told me to cut the shit or I'm fired. So, um, oops. My bad."

18 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I wonder what Fegler thinks about flying commercial.  I'm not a pilot, but I fly frequently for work and flying a small private plane has never struck me as any more or less risky than flying in a jet with a hundred other people.  Honestly, I feel like small planes are probably better maintained, have a lighter workload, and give you some semblance of control if a problem develops.  If I'm on a jet and it crashes, only thing I can do about it is fall to my death.

Flying a small plane, especially a personal plane, is at least an order of magnitude more dangerous than flying commercial.  You have pilots with less training flying on equipment that doesn't have the strict safety and maintenance controls of a commercial aircraft.

I would say that the standards for being a sports radio guy must be really really low but that could be said for most major markets. 

It likes guidance counselors are telling kids "you are an obnoxious moron with douche bag friends.  You would be perfect for radio business"  

If you like funny, old stories from the U, or you just want to laugh at Ray Lewis, go listen to the last hour of yesterday's Dan LeBatard show.  Ed Reed and Bryant McKinney sit in for a few segments and had the time of their lives telling stories.  The story about them beating up former heavyweight boxing champion is great, but not nearly as great as them talking about Ray Lewis' crazy pep talk.

I don't envy Greenberg.  His new show is going to be highly visible and very expensive, at a time when ESPN is doing major cost-cutting.  If it stumbles out of the gate, ugh.  The pressure on him to succeed is going to be enormous.

Meanwhile, Golic is going to be well paid to do the same thing he's done for 20 years, with his son and a permanent fill-in host.  I'd much rather be Golic 

BTW, Sporting News said construction delays would delay Greenie's new show until spring (as well as Bomani Jones' new show).  Is that official?  I haven't seen a promo for it and am under the impression they have yet to officially announce who else will be on the show (Beadle, apparently, as well as Booger McFarlane and a couple others).

Truthfully, this is kinda how I expect Greenberg's career as a solo act to go:

giphy.webp

• Like 1

Mike Francesa's replacements have apparently been named

Those replacements are reportedly Chris Carlin of WIP in Philadelphia, Bart Scott of ESPN 98.7 (and formerly of the New York Jets) and Maggie Gray of CBS Sports Radio, per the New York Daily News.

I know I have been gone from NY a long time when I didn't realize Carlin had left the WFAN and gone to Philly

Mike and Mike's last show was okish, but absent the sort of emotion you might expect from two guys who have worked together for almost 18 years.  They did a little reminiscing and some of their usual banter, but I didn't really feel like there was any emotion between them.  Maybe they're just stoic or they saved the emotion for off-screen, but it made me wonder if the rumors that they stopped talking off-camera are true.  Golic gave some interviews this week which made it seem that he found out the show was ending after Greenberg had agreed to do the new morning show. so it certainly sounds like the decision was made without him.

Honestly, I haven't listened to Mike & Mike regularly for about a decade, and listening to a lot of the show the past few months convinced me it's not essential listening for me anymore, but I'm still going to miss it.

Yeah, I stopped listening to the show over 10 years ago. Too vanilla, too repetitive, too formulaic. 

It's interesting how successful it has been outside of the major markets with hardcore local sports radio (wfan, wip,  weei).

• Like 1

On 14/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, RIPPA said:

Mike Francesa's replacements have apparently been named

I know I have been gone from NY a long time when I didn't realize Carlin had left the WFAN and gone to Philly

Those are suprisingly competent people for WFAN to be hiring, considering they kept Craig Carton on the air for 10 years.