DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

I still watch a fair bit of ESPN, but I rarely watch Sportscenter these days and haven't for years.  I don't hate ESPN, but, by and large, I can get what I want from the studio shows online and with more convenience.   The idea of Sportscenter seems oddly quaint to me - much like the evening news.  I watch the talk shows from time to time, but don't go out of my way to catch them except for Mike and Mike.

Honestly, the most watched network in my house is Universal's new Olympic Network.  They're relying on a lot of endurance sports footage to fill up time - old Olympic track and field events, rebroadcasts of marathons, a decent bit of bike racing and triathlons, etc. 

32 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

ESPN has (I can only assume) decided to try to win my love back by having Desus & Mero do some NBA coverage for them.

From what I understand the people behind the scenes of Desus & Mero were the people behind the scenes on shows like Around the Horn and Highly Questionable.  They are basically kissing cousins with ESPN.  

On 10/13/2017 at 9:08 AM, Zimbra said:

ESPN is partnering with Barstool Sports for a show, as if I needed another excuse not to watch ESPN.

Never mind.  I'm not sure how they thought they were going to distance themselves from the Barstool brand when it was in the title of the show, but that's why I don't run a fancy cable network.

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Never mind.  I'm not sure how they thought they were going to distance themselves from the Barstool brand when it was in the title of the show, but that's why I don't run a fancy cable network.

I think I speak for everyone when I say:

lIPm2Q0.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm the only one here that still watches PTI, but I can't be the only one that's sick of Michael Wilbon's curmudgeon schtick. I still watch because I think he and Kornheiser still have good chemistry, but good lord, I just want to throw something at the tv when he just dismisses any sort of analytics and such. Terrible. "Get that junk out of here," indeed.

29 minutes ago, Kyle Casey said:

Maybe I'm the only one here that still watches PTI, but I can't be the only one that's sick of Michael Wilbon's curmudgeon schtick. I still watch because I think he and Kornheiser still have good chemistry, but good lord, I just want to throw something at the tv when he just dismisses any sort of analytics and such. Terrible. "Get that junk out of here," indeed.

I look at the anti-analytics people like I look at the people who deny global warming.  I immediately stop taking their analysis seriously, because they clearly aren't paying attention to actual evidence.  Wilbon is like a drunk uncle you talk sports with.  He's someone it is fun to listen to, I'm just not going to look to him for useful information.

ESPN revealed a new social media policy and basically flat out told their employees they aren't allowed to talk about non-sports

Even better - they told them they aren't allowed to break news on Twitter anymore

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

ESPN revealed a new social media policy and basically flat out told their employees they aren't allowed to talk about non-sports

Even better - they told them they aren't allowed to break news on Twitter anymore

So basically, the new policy is "never use your social media accounts"?

I'm generally sympathetic to the position ESPN is in, and still like the channel, but, yeah, this is a bit much.

And, yeah, if I had to describe Bill Simmons' internet persona in one sentence, "human being" would probably not be my language of choice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Under what circumstances is this a good idea?  They should just ban their employees from Twitter if that is the case.  The crazy thing about this is that Jemele Hill was talking about a relevant sports story when she got suspended.  I'd be willing to bet more people interact with their product/personalities on Twitter than they do on any of their television/radio outlets. 

On 11/2/2017 at 4:05 PM, RIPPA said:

There's word going around that that second one doesn't apply to guys named "Adam Schefter" or "Adrian Woja. . .Woji. . .Woj."