DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

Did we ever find out who leaked the whole Robert Lee/Virginia football story to Clay Travis?   That really started this stupid garbage fire that will probably lead to Hill getting fired.  We all know when the president makes an issue of something petty it grows and grows.  It already is out of control with the bitter  brigade of Clay, Whitlock, and Britt McHenry

51 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Carton resigns from WFAN

That would signal he's taking a bargin to reduce time.

I'm also half tempted to find that Geno Smith tweet from this morning throwing shade the size of a redwood at Carton.

Somewhere in this forum - there was a brief discussion about "Last Chance U" but I can't find it so I am putting this here

Two brothers who played college football and were featured in the Netflix series "Last Chance U" have been charged in connection with a fatal stabbing in Tennessee.

Camion Patrick and Isaiah Wright are among four men charged in connection with the death of Caleb Radford on July 25. Radford, 18, was found stabbed multiple times on a street in Louisville, Tenn. On Aug. 3, Alcoa (Tenn.) police announced the arrests of two suspects: Keshawn Hopewell, 21, and Itiq Green, 28.

Wright, 20, was arrested Wednesday by Harriman (Tenn.) police. Indiana University police arrested Patrick, 22, on Wednesday in Bloomington, Ind. Wright is being held at the Blount County Justice Center in Maryville, Tenn.

IU police arrested Patrick on Wednesday. He is being held at the Monroe County Correctional Center in Bloomington, Ind. There is no information yet on an extradition hearing or date.

Patrick played wide receiver and running back at Indiana but dealt with multiple injuries, and on July 20 was granted a medical hardship waiver, ending his career but allowing him to remain on scholarship. The school suspended him Wednesday following his arrest. The one-time Tennessee recruit spent two years at East Mississippi Community College before joining Indiana, where he had six receptions and four rushes in 2016.

Wright, a running back, earned a scholarship offer from Auburn but also went to East Mississippi, site for the "Last Chance U" series. He was featured in the second edition of the series, which took place during the 2016 season. Wright and Patrick both talked about the challenges they faced as children in foster care, as their mother had left them and their father was in prison.

After a promising start to the 2016 season, Wright sustained an injury and often clashed with coach Buddy Stephens. He ended up enrolling at Division II West Georgia but left school before the 2017 season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20701754/two-brothers-featured-last-chance-u-charged-connection-fatal-stabbing

That Isiah Wright story sucks.  The reason that show is so fascinating is that we are catching all of those players at their tipping point.  Isiah Wright was one of those guys who you could tell didn't have much going on in his life outside of football, and if he didn't make it, there was no telling where he'd go from there.  

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Imagine if she ends up as the co host of Greenbergs morning show ...

That seems so logical, it probably won't happen.  I think I read somewhere that Greenberg is (allegedly) against her coming in.  I think he wants to prove he can make it solo.

I didn't watch Nolan's show on FS1 - mostly because I only occasionally remember FS1 is a thing and we get it on our cable package - but I'd be more likely to watch Greenberg/Nolan than Greenie by himself.  I've been listening to Mike and Mike almost since the beginning - probably at least 15-16 years - and I don't think I've ever thought to myself "You know what?  Greenie needs his own show.  That Golic dude is holding him back."  I think I'd like Greenie if we were neighbors - he seems to both like sports and be a cerebral guy - but I kinda feel like he's a generic talking head and Golic is the one with the unique opinions.

Yeah, I've never got "cerebral" from Mike Greenberg.  He's about a generic as sportscasters get in my opinion.  I listen to sports radio for either entertainment or insight, I don't think I've ever found him particularly entertaining or insightful.  I'm not saying he's bad at his job, he's perfectly fine as the bland morning radio host, but his style is not for me at all.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I've never got "cerebral" from Mike Greenberg.  He's about a generic as sportscasters get in my opinion.  I listen to sports radio for either entertainment or insight, I don't think I've ever found him particularly entertaining or insightful.  I'm not saying he's bad at his job, he's perfectly fine as the bland morning radio host, but his style is not for me at all.

I can understand why people might think that Greenberg is some sort of deep thinker, but that's probably more a function of the fact that they played Golic off as such a doofus for so many years. ("Hey, here's a real big guy that used to play football and his brother was on that awful Saved by the Bell spin-off so let's make him a dum-dum!")

When it comes right down to it, I think Greenberg needs Golic more than vice-versa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I can understand why people might think that Greenberg is some sort of deep thinker, but that's probably more a function of the fact that they played Golic off as such a doofus for so many years. ("Hey, here's a real big guy that used to play football and his brother was on that awful Saved by the Bell spin-off so let's make him a dum-dum!")

When it comes right down to it, I think Greenberg needs Golic more than vice-versa.

I honestly think the best part of their show is that they are the safe combo who won't ever say anything too far in any direction.  They are the counter balance for Lebatard and Bomani Jones.  I wouldn't listen to Mike and Mike if you paid me, but they are the exact kind of show they need in that time slot.