DVDVR Message Board

2017 Matches of the Year

Greggulator

My WWE Wrestler of the Year is a three way fight between Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman and AJ Styles. Right now it's neck and neck between Reigns and Strowman. Styles deserves bonus marks for getting THAT match out of this version of Brock Lesnar.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE.com's annual Top 25 MOTYCs of 2017

25. Roman Reigns vs. Cesaro (RAW, 12/11/17)
24. Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles (SmackDown Live, 7/25/17)
23. Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT Takeover: Orlando, 4/1/17)
22. John Cena vs. AJ Styles vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz - Elimination Chamber Match (Elimination Chamber,  2/12/17)
21. Charlotte vs. Bayley (RAW, 2/13/17)
20. Jack Gallagher vs. TJP vs. Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Noam Dar (205 Live, 2/7/17)
19. Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns (Royal Rumble, 1/29/17)
18. The Undisputed Era vs. Sanity vs. Roderick Strong & The Authors of Pain - War Games Match (NXT Takeover: War Games, 11/18/17)
17. Samoa Joe vs. Roman Reigns vs. Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins (Extreme Rules, 6/4/17)
16. Aleister Black vs. Velveteen Dream (NXT Takeover: War Games, 11/18/17)
15. Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (WrestleMania 33, 4/2/17)
14. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins (RAW, 5/29/17)
13. Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro & Sheamus (No Mercy, 9/24/17)
12. AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon (WrestleMania 33, 4/2/17)
11. The Usos vs. The New Day (Battleground, 7/23/17)
10. Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins vs. The Miz (RAW, 5/1/17)
9. Braun Strowman vs. The Big Show (RAW, 2/20/17)
8. The Authors of Pain vs. DIY vs. The Revival (NXT Takeover: Orlando, 4/1/17)
7. Finn Balor vs. AJ Styles (TLC, 10/22/17)
6. Asuka vs. Ember Moon (NXT Takeover: Brooklyn, 8/19/17)
5. Brock Lesnar vs. AJ Styles (Survivor Series, 11/19/17)
4. The Usos vs. The New Day (SummerSlam Kickoff, 8/20/17)
3. Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate (NXT Takeover: Chicago, 5/20/17)
2. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman (SummerSlam, 8/20/17)
1. John Cena vs. AJ Styles (Royal Rumble, 1/29/17)

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

WWE.com's annual Top 25 MOTYCs of 2017

Reveal hidden contents

25. Roman Reigns vs. Cesaro (RAW, 12/11/17)
24. Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles (SmackDown Live, 7/25/17)
23. Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT Takeover: Orlando, 4/1/17)
22. John Cena vs. AJ Styles vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz - Elimination Chamber Match (Elimination Chamber,  2/12/17)
21. Charlotte vs. Bayley (RAW, 2/13/17)
20. Jack Gallagher vs. TJP vs. Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Noam Dar (205 Live, 2/7/17)
19. Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns (Royal Rumble, 1/29/17)
18. The Undisputed Era vs. Sanity vs. Roderick Strong & The Authors of Pain - War Games Match (NXT Takeover: War Games, 11/18/17)
17. Samoa Joe vs. Roman Reigns vs. Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins (Extreme Rules, 6/4/17)
16. Aleister Black vs. Velveteen Dream (NXT Takeover: War Games, 11/18/17)
15. Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (WrestleMania 33, 4/2/17)
14. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins (RAW, 5/29/17)
13. Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro & Sheamus (No Mercy, 9/24/17)
12. AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon (WrestleMania 33, 4/2/17)
11. The Usos vs. The New Day (Battleground, 7/23/17)
10. Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins vs. The Miz (RAW, 5/1/17)
9. Braun Strowman vs. The Big Show (RAW, 2/20/17)
8. The Authors of Pain vs. DIY vs. The Revival (NXT Takeover: Orlando, 4/1/17)
7. Finn Balor vs. AJ Styles (TLC, 10/22/17)
6. Asuka vs. Ember Moon (NXT Takeover: Brooklyn, 8/19/17)
5. Brock Lesnar vs. AJ Styles (Survivor Series, 11/19/17)
4. The Usos vs. The New Day (SummerSlam Kickoff, 8/20/17)
3. Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate (NXT Takeover: Chicago, 5/20/17)
2. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman (SummerSlam, 8/20/17)
1. John Cena vs. AJ Styles (Royal Rumble, 1/29/17)

Its a nice enough varied list though I would switch around the placing on much of it and the lack of any the Reigns/Strowman matches is bs.

Their top three seem like they'd non-negotiably be the same top three you'd find if you went around the fanbase and gained a consensus. Probably reordered, but pretty accurate. 

I'd like to knock some of the weaker matches off for some of my darlings (Cedric vs Noam I Quit, Bar vs Hardys Ironman), but there's next week's list for that. 

On 12/6/2017 at 4:04 PM, Kyuubi said:

PPV Matches:

Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate

DIY vs Author's of Pain

The Revival vs DIY

Velveteen Dream vs Aleister Black

AJ Styles vs Finn Balor

Aj Styles vs Brock Lesnar

Drew Mac vs Andrade Almas Cien for NXT Title

Summerslam the Usos vs the New Day

AJ Styles vs John Cena

TV Matches

2nd Cruiserweight Fatal Fourway between Cedric Alexander, Mustafa Ali, Tony Neese, Drew Gulak

Cedric Alexander and Rich Swann vs Brian Kendrick and Drew Gallagher in a Tornado Tag match

Pete Dunne vs Johnny Gargano for the UK Title

Johnny Gargano vs Cien Almas

Rodrick Strong vs Bobby Roode

Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe

I can't remember dates, but yeah, this is all I got for the end of the year.

MVPS

Cedric Alexander. 

Fuck you guys,  Cedric has been awesome this year and truly an  great performer. He had a great feud ender with Noam Darr, a few good matches with Brian Kendrick and Jack Gallagher, and is generally the best if not one of the best performers on 205 Live. Dude is really good at this wrestling thing and honestly so much better than what he is given.

AJ Styles

This man does not need build-up to sell a match or draw people. AJ Styles just needs to be AJ fucking Styles and you are automatically invested.

Johnny Gargano

Okay, I admit when Johnny first came to NXT, I dismissed him as a vanilla midget and typical indy guy. I didn't get the hype if there was ever any hype,. Dude just seemed bland in every way possible. Then his matches with DIY came in and I was blown away. This guy is honestly an amazing Tag performer. Then DIY broke up and he set out on his own. Initially, I thought he would fall down in quality, but nope. Dude is an awesome single's competitor as well and reminds me of Shawn Michaels. 

Pete Dunne

I never thought I would see another Finlay, but I love Pete Dunne. He is different and brutal and worth it. Dude just exudes character.

Samoa Joe

Dude is an awesome badass charcter and is a highlight everytime he comes on my screen.

Braun Strwoman

I know I don't have any matches of his in my list, but Strowman is what happens when WWE tries to make someone a monster and it works.

I decided to add on to this.

Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate 3

These two....wow, they are really talented. They have this creative drive so they don't really mimic the same spots or they give the same spots a bit of the twist. This match was the best of the three for me as I literally had to rewind a few times to fully appreciate the action. What is also amazing is that these matches had very limited story telling outside the ring, but so much story in the ring. I was very engaged and delighted. So this is my match of the year.

Cedric Alexander vs Drew Gulak, 205 rematch

The crowd was shit. We all know this, but the action was top notch. Drew turned up the intensity for this match and pulled out more spots that I have not seen from him since the CRC. There was a bit of story telling involving Enzo as he became more and more aware just how talented and physical Cedric is and his face when Cedric pulled that weird tope turned into a double kick in the face sold it. The finish had a bit of character work that I really appreciated from Gulak because his character is not comfortable on the top rope hence why he insists on keeping the action on the ground. So the little effect of his legs shaking was a nice touch with Enzo berating him to get down from the top rope. Cedric yanking him down and then turning it into a Lumbar Check was wicked. I am glad that the cruiserweights are selling that move like death because it is by far the most wicked finisher in 205 Live if not in all of the WWE.

MVP addition

Tyler Bate

So before I did not include Bate because he seemed like a generic babyface with cool moves. It hurt that his best performances involved Pete Dunne so I was biased. But Bate is actually one of those faces whose in-ring work reflect their character which more than I can say about Cedric. Bate is resilient and really tough so he getting his fingers dislocated and then relocating them and continuing on with the match is  character work. Dude also is super strong and I like that he power outs of spots is cool too.

Right now I am tied between AJ Styles and Braun Strowman as the MVP of the year.

• Like 1