DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

23 hours ago, DEAN said:

The way Valentine secretly sizes him up before unleashing it is soooo awesome.

That was hilarious, he looked like a Scooby Doo villain creeping up on someone. I was taken aback by him soaking in the cheers because that is not like any Valentine I've ever seen. 

Boesch had a good point about holds only differing depending on who was using them, kinda letting on there's always been cool heels or heelish babyfaces. 

Methinks those two young lasses got more than autographs from the boys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Abdullah the Butcher & Ruckus vs Osamu Nishimura & Jinzei Shinzaki

This is WAR levels of random guys tagging up.  AJPW got real weird with it after the NOAH split.

27 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Abdullah the Butcher & Ruckus vs Osamu Nishimura & Jinzei Shinzaki

This is WAR levels of random guys tagging up.  AJPW got real weird with it after the NOAH split.

Never forget that somehow Funk, Onita, Abby, and Kamala II worked on a Tokyo Dome show in 2001. That match actually should go in the blood sucking freak thread and not this one though, Terry's crazy.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:38 PM, Casey said:

@BAHU's write up about Gladiator/Awesome mentions that Heyman convinced him to return to ECW, instead of staying with All Japan.

Mike Awesome was out for a year with a knee injury he suffered in August-September 1998.

He came back and felt because of how much FMW had changed when he was able to return in 1999 with Fuyuki now the booker and Onita/Go Ito were no longer there he didn't feel like FMW was the same company any longer so he didn't feel the loyalty towards it he had previously felt. So he joined All Japan. He did one tour and was planning on that being his new home when ECW came a calling. He would make less money than All Japan but he wasn't going to have to travel and tour in Japan and he was going to be the champion so he knew he would be pushed correctly so he chose ECW. Then towards the end of his ECW run he had not been paid for awhile and what really upset him and why he never felt any loyalty to ECW to begin with was because he was never paid by Heyman for Heatwave 98 a year and a half earlier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Best part of this is old man Pallo commentating on his own match, but there's really not a ton of Adrian Street in the UK footage, so it's nice to see.

I know a guy who has a Street match from the 60s. Not sure if he was doing the glam rock act yet. 

This match is a hoot!  New Japan in 1991 and all the young guys beat on each other.  I can't figure out who is scrawnier- Osamu Nishimura or Koji Kanemoto.  Teenage Tenzan is almost as fun as Colorado Man Shinya Hashimoto.

• Like 2

I LOVED that match. There's nothing better than a New Japan 10-man elimination. Speaking of which, that might be a good idea for the 10-man that's headlining Dynamite next week: Elimination Rules. C'mon, nobody ever does that anymore.

The beefy kid was definitely Manabu Nakanishi, right? Same hairstyle. 

• Like 1

Very weird seeing a Tenzan match with zero Mongolian chops. Funny when Sasaki comes in and is all "no I don't need to double team these nerds" then Koshinaka comes in later and is like "sure, let's cheat, fuck them kids".

That match reminded me I am infinitely annoyed the Koshinaka/Tenryu match from late 1992 doesn't appear to be on either Youtube or Dailymotion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The beefy kid was definitely Manabu Nakanishi, right? Same hairstyle. 

I think that was Ohara.

Wrestling Machine Takumi Iroha meets up with Actwres girl'Z champion Miyuki Takase in collision of wrestlers I have- for whatever reason- seen a lot of this week.

Not sure what you good brothers have planned for today but I'm going to be playing the World Wrestling Peace Festival on my Twitch today and try to keep up with the action as I attempt to commentate the matches. Live in five :) 

https://twitch.tv/ifightgiants

Chigusa Nagoya takes on the Pat Benatar of Women's wrestling, Mimi Hagiwara- FOR THE BELT!  This match is pretty great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Chigusa Nagoya takes on the Pat Benatar of Women's wrestling, Mimi Hagiwara- FOR THE BELT!  This match is pretty great.

I saw a video on IG from I believe the 2 ring battle royal from Wrestlemarinpiad '89 where the members of Prison Gate Party/Gokumon-to (Bull, Aja, Bison, Grizzly, and maybe Condor if she was still around by then) angrily stride to the ring to the strains of Pat Benatar's "Invincible". Wild shit.

• Like 3