DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Guest Edwin
8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

2. Bruiser Bedlam (I think?) doing a Flair Flop onto the basketball court

That's Bill DeMott as Crash the Eliminator.

Ah. The shitty haircut* and size made me think Bruiser. 

* I actually had a cut close to that once, with just a mohawk in back and the rest pretty well shaved. I call it the "Hare Krishna". Dave Dictor from MDC once rocked it so that's why I tried it out; eventually it grew into a full-on mullet that I was made aware of by a laughing coworker at a new job. Thaaaaaat did not stay on my head long after.

Women's wrestling from the late 70s was so basic (in a positive way), My exposure to it was an occasional match live and on TV. There were no storylines or feuds, and few consistent players. Usually the matches were in the first half of the cards, often in the death spots. No color, top rope moves & out of the ring brawling were rare and no one had a gimmick past face/heel. Therefore, the ladies had to try harder and they usually did. This was why I often looked to these matches for inspiration, structure and finishes when I layed out on a random match on an indy card in front of a crowd that had never seen me before (often with an opponent I had never worked before). Keep it basic, strong essentials and psychology, get over with the crowd, less is more. I tried to push this on others workers but studying Lelani Kai tapes paled in comparison  (vicarious thrill=wise) to imitating/being the next Rob Van Dam. I did discover that while it's easy'n'fun to watch ECW tapes with most of the boys (and there's a lot of gold there as well), much of time the smartest workers (often the promoters or bookers) could appreciate the less dynamic but more subtle and eminently watchable/copyable/educational vintage stuff. Not all of it stands up to this day, but the best workers were always great. You could swipe a 10 year old Fabulous Moolah spot and it would still get over (and few would know where you, uh, acquired it from). No wonder the Jumping Bomb Angels blew everybody's minds.

- outside of time,

RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
fixin' my terminology, stuck in bed
  • Like 1

I now find myself watching every early Barbarian match I can find after watching him work Kamala on GCW TV. Youtube is great sometimes. This one jumped out immediately...

NWA Chicago  World Tag Team Title Match, September 25, 1953 -----------  IN COLOR!!!!

Billy Darnell & Bill Melby (c) vs. Bob Orton & Mighty Atlas

This is the only known existing footage from the Chicago Film Archives (Russ & Sylvia Davis Collection) that is in color.  It really looks great.

• Like 1

Here, Shawn Michaels is a really good Ricky Morton and Buddy Rose and Doug Sommers are the Best Possible Midnight Express.  Marty Jannetty is a perfectly fine Robert Gibson.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

Apparently this just surfaced recently, after being unseen for over 40 years.....

NWA Southeastern Wrestling from Knoxville, July 29, 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBVFhQ3MgE

https://winterpalacepodcast.squarespace.com/podcast/2020/6/17/episode-eighty-eight-let-loose-the-cannons

Hear Les Thatcher talk about it with me from a couple weeks ago.

Edited by odessasteps

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So is that the first episode of Southeastern or something? 

BTW, love Les' Tony Montana getup. The beard and 'fro too

No, it's just an episode Les still had in his collection. 

If anything, it's closer to the end of Southeastern in Knoxville [79] than the beginning [75].