DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

What is the significance of that looming CactusSunKaiju colossus in the background? I have other tapes from this venue and was always curious...

- RAF

**********nevermind, thank you interWeb:

"The Theme Pavilion was built to express the integrated theme of Osaka's Expo '70, "Progress and Harmony for Mankind." This central theme supported the coexistence of the two concepts "progress" and "harmony," which is very difficult to achieve, and numerous exhibits conveying the lofty ideals of human beings were displayed. The Tower of the Sun Museum was considered the core of all elements that embraced the spirits of thematic exhibitions, and served as a glorious symbol for the entire Expo '70 site.
Situated almost at the center of the Symbol Zone, where the spirits of the theme were condensed and expressed together, the 70-m-tall Tower of the Sun Museum penetrated through the Big Roof of Festival Plaza and soared high into the sky."

https://taiyounotou-expo70.jp/en/about/expo70/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_the_Sun

This was a mystery to me for years, and it is sufficiently oddball enough to be a satisfying answer, and it eventually was interpreted as a giant fighting robot, as all things should be.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
I interrupted my busy schedule and googled the damn thing

You know who especially didn't give a flying fuck about the safety of their workers in 1999? All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling.

They're out there for almost 30 minutes in a torrential downpour. The craziest part? They did it the PREVIOUS night too. Insane. 

• Like 1

One of the Mexican Robots got the shit kicked out of him once by Harley Race for being a no-selling choad. The whole locker room then came after Harley until he pulled out his Magnum. 

I find it incredible that not a single person involved in the Fire Deathmatch brought a fucking fire extinguisher. Ten thousand buckets of water, but no, you know... FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!

Edited by Curt McGirt

I remember this being a whole passel of fun. What a wild heel team. 

EDIT: Yeah, this is still really fun. The end is especially crazy with S.D. Jones and Bad News Allen running in to beat on Inoki, and then out of the blue Wahoo McDaniel shows up to clean house?! Talk about unexpected! There isn't a single other match with him on the New Japan set. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, Edwin said:

Mascarita Sagrada with a massive dive off the top of the cage

That was bonkers. The cage is super tall, and Mascarita is what, four foot tall? If he had tripped standing up there or even if he missed Jake, since Mexican rings are notoriously hard (the AAA one might not be as bad as CMLL though)... it would have ended up really, really bad. Sherry falling on her face was brutal too. 

I don't think Jake did a damn thing but stumble around the whole time though

HHH vs. Cactus, Hell in a Cell. Never seen this before now amazingly. Didn't HHH say they decided to use fake barbed wire and it was worse than the real because it gave him puncture wounds? Also, I have no clue how Foley lit that thing on fire. 

Leaving this here too to watch later. Like I've said here before, I don't care for Aytch but when he wrestles Mick it's magic. 

• Like 1

I know the Royal Rumble match they did a switcheroo, where the original Barbed Wire Bat had real wire, and the second one was fake*. You can tell the difference visually, too. Not sure about the HiaC one.

* But then Triple H got suplexed onto a broken pallet and gashed his leg open and bled heavily anyway. The blood Gods will not be mocked.

That bard wire switch trick reminds me, how did Foley talk about that in his book? Because one thing I remember about Foley’s books was that even though he let you in behind the scenes, he’d kayfabe a lot of stuff like the way he’d described punches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I rewatched the Doomsday Cage match from WCW Uncensored 1996. The match is mostly strikes, brawling, some submission holds, but minimal on throws. So if you like bumps this match isn't for you.

Need to find the GAB 88 version and the WCCW triple cage match.

43 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Eh, Madusa wasn't bad.

I'm watching the Aja Kong vs. Madusa semi-real Shootboxing match from a month earlier. Whoever put this together clearly thought Aja could handle herself and was kinda mistaken because Madusa beats the piss out of her and shatters her nose. So Madusa has to carry her and let Aja get some offense in so they can score it a draw for storyline purposes. 

Aja's corner team consists of apparently fight strategist/chief second Bull Nakano (hehehe), Bison Kimura, Grizzly Iwamoto, and a young AF, pre Golden Corral hits Japan Kyoko Inoue.

• Like 2