DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

I notice that everyone  from LLPW works the same very stiff style and that Yumiko Hotta would have fit in perfectly to LLPW.  And it isn't that Hotta would beat the shit out of you.  Aja did a lot more assbeating  than Hotta.  Hotta is just more in line with a LLPW gal.

There are surprisingly a handful of Baba vs. Fritz matches from different years out there. This one came up in my feed at the dead end of the night the other night (after watching Kowalski and Rikidozan beat the everloving piss out of each other -- that one should go in Gordi's Clubbering thread actually) and I was sucked into watching the whole thing. Fritz comes off like the angriest guy in the world and the Iron Claw is a force of nature. The drama they milk just from the Claw trying to be applied is fantastic. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

OMFG, 18:35!!!! EW! How was that not a separated shoulder?

My YT watch later list is growing every day. Thank you for posting these.

I love Eagle smiling right after that like,"What the fuck are you doing?"

• Like 1

Gen'chiro Tenryu/Randy Savage vs King Haku/Yoshiaku Yatsu

Really fun, wild brawl.  Haku and Tenryu beat on each other, Savage blades right in front of the camera, and both Savage and Tenryu almost die to a spike piledriver and assisted powerbomb respectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Gen'chiro Tenryu/Randy Savage vs King Haku/Yoshiaku Yatsu

Really fun, wild brawl.  Haku and Tenryu beat on each other, Savage blades right in front of the camera, and both Savage and Tenryu almost die to a spike piledriver and assisted powerbomb respectively.

This is very good. Is there a better 4th guy in '80s/early '90s tags than Yatsu? Incredibly solid, can work either baby, heel, or no-nonsense, great on the mat, brings the stiff strikes, and has little to no ego. I don't think you'd want him to be the best or perhaps even second best guy in a great tag match, but he's the perfect water carrier for guys like Jumbo Tsuruta and he's a mean bastard in this match.

Strange seeing Savage very over here in Sumo Hall when I've seen enough matches of his Tokyo Dome heatless matches to last a life time (this is coming from a hyuge Savage fan btw). What happened between here and then?

Haku's work looking awfully tight here. That atomic drop he starts off with Savage was perfection. There was a lot of hate in this, which is always appreciated and right from the get go too. Good, basic storytelling with the heels taking and maintaining advantage through double teams, cutoffs, and isolation. Savage doing classic Savage work in biting off more than he can chew by going after both men after finally getting the hot tag. The resulting hot tag back to Tenryu with Savage crawling on all 4s at hyper speed was awesome! The spike piledriver on Savage outside was gnarly too. That looked awkward and painful. Speaking of, that double team powerbomb at the end... wow. 

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

Dick Murdoch and Killer Karl Kox punch each other in the face for twenty minutes in 1976 in Japan.

A great match can come from the most basic moves, provided they are executed well and used to tell a story. A brawl like this that get the viewer involved emotionally is so much better than a thrill-ride of big moves that all work to erode one's suspension of disbelief. And, sweet Vishnu, that double punch at 10:21 is magnificent.

- RAF

• Like 1