DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

You can also tell it sucks to do. That ring is boxing-ring stiff and she's landing on her tailbone at an angle. Eagle Sawai was wildin' out in that match, dude. She popped a couple of the girls HARD in the back of the head/neck and was generally uncooperative/sandbagging. Dangerous but wild fun, kind of what an inter-promotional match should be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Competitive squash from Florida, Gordon Solie on the mike. The one-armed backbreaker at the end is a thing to behold.

That bump he takes right on his hip didn't look like any walk in the park either.

That was neat, I haven't seen much young Tenryu.

• Like 1

No one ever believes me, but Studd's real strength is playing against his size. You see it here a couple of times, first with the fact he does so many gut punches early on despite the size advantage. Then, look at how he sells and how quick he is to go hide between the ropes after Studd has started to kick the leg. Even with that, this isn't a great example of Studd, since he couldn't go full on chickenshit in Japan against Inoki. It's that dissonance between the expectation of what a large man could and would do and what Studd actually does even against smaller opponents (but also against larger ones) which pisses off crowds and draws heat.

The weakness is definitely the chinlocks. Chinlocks aren't inherently bad but he doesn't make them very interesting for the most part. In general, the most interesting part of any Studd match is the first couple of minutes where he's going .8 Larry Z despite his size. Again, this is one reason why I'm against Great Match Theory. Because if you just looked at that, you'd probably miss the things Studd did exceptionally well that are really worth looking at.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

No one ever believes me, but Studd's real strength is playing against his size. You see it here a couple of times, first with the fact he does so many gut punches early on despite the size advantage. Then, look at how he sells and how quick he is to go hide between the ropes after Studd has started to kick the leg. Even with that, this isn't a great example of Studd, since he couldn't go full on chickenshit in Japan against Inoki. It's that dissonance between the expectation of what a large man could and would do and what Studd actually does even against smaller opponents (but also against larger ones) which pisses off crowds and draws heat.

The weakness is definitely the chinlocks. Chinlocks aren't inherently bad but he doesn't make them very interesting for the most part. In general, the most interesting part of any Studd match is the first couple of minutes where he's going .8 Larry Z despite his size. Again, this is one reason why I'm against Great Match Theory. Because if you just looked at that, you'd probably miss the things Studd did exceptionally well that are really worth looking at.

Maybe, but perhaps you never had to sit through one of this big lug's snoozefrest lumbering (NOT clubberin') matches. Admittedly he had a name, and a decent promo, but at least the tail end of his career was painful. You can piss off a crowd and not get heat. The contradictory heat from saying you are thee One True Giant when you are clearly shorter that Andre is good heat, but your lack of mobility and ability is not. Just like a good worker can inflame a crowd with excessive stalling, a weak worker can lose an audience and ruin the flow of the bout. I am disputing your Theory here for the Reality of actually watching this mishegoss. 

I saw Big John Studd vs Jules Strongbow/George Wells/et al. and all I got was this post,

RAF

Just now, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Maybe, but perhaps you never had to sit through one of this big lug's snoozefrest lumbering (NOT clubberin') matches. Admittedly he had a name, and a decent promo, but at least the tail end of his career was painful. You can piss off a crowd and not get heat. The contradictory heat from saying you are thee One True Giant when you are clearly shorter that Andre is good heat, but your lack of mobility and ability is not. Just like a good worker can inflame a crowd with excessive stalling, a weak worker can lose an audience and ruin the flow of the bout. I am disputing your Theory here for the Reality of actually watching this mishegoss. 

I saw Big John Studd vs Jules Strongbow/George Wells/et al. and all I got was this post,

RAF

I'll be the first to admit that watching a wrestler live is different than watching him on tape, especially decades later. That said, I think ultimately, what we choose to judge critically when reviewing matches is the current experience we're having, in 2020, and that can be a comparative experience over time, styles, and types of matches. Crowds matter, but there are plenty of matches where he does get that heat. I do think, as you mentioned, he probably needs the right opponent, but that's true of a lot of people. I'm not saying that he's a great lost worker so much as I'm saying he did one thing particularly well at specific times, and it's something that has been woefully undervalued in the history of wrestling criticism. 

There's an Andre match that people hate for the laying around mid-match that I think has five brilliant minutes, for instance.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Time stamped.

Three entirely different matches and 3 bangers in the last 3 matches on there: Ultimo vs. Sasuke; Bam Bam, Fuyuki & Anjo vs. Takada, Sano & Kakihara; Tenryu vs. Muta.

Ultimo vs. Sasuke is great if you still enjoy 90s Japanese Jr. heavyweight matches.

The six man tag is fantastic with the UWFi guys as invading and defending WAR six man tag team champs and of course on the opposite side we get the odd WAR trio.

Tenryu vs. Muta is a fantastic main event. Muta breaks a bottle, Tenryu bleeds and they brawl. What else can you ask for?

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I FF'd to watch Tenryu/Muta in 1.5x speed the other night, because I knew it was Muta and it was gonna be slow. It was your typical Muta match. Tenryu bled nicely. That's... about it. 

I should have watched the six-man instead

You should go back and rewatch it. It's fantastic. It has Tenryu, some blood, some good brawling, a hot Osaka crowd and the use of the furniture and mist are perfect in it. Absolutely loved Muta misting Tenryu to get out of the powerbomb pin.

Also, you should never FF a Tenryu match, ever.

Edited by Edwin

Tell you this, I will probably never watch another Muta in Japan match without putting it in double speed again. Mutoh, no; Muta, yes. That wander and stall schtick just gets on my nerves. You know what's under the ring, motherfucker! 

Look at it like this: Tenryu couldn't make me watch it in regular time. TENRYU.