DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't that on a Schneider Comp? I remember at least one Hotta match on one that was horrific in its violence.

I'm assuming that if there was one on a Schneider comp, that would be the one,

Joe vs Lashley from Slammiversary XII (2014). The only place where crowds are this hot for Lashley matches now, are in Lashley's dreams.

• Like 2

I was watching some 90's Hikari Fukuoka matches, but this was the only one I could find with a Moonsault Stomp- but it's also the nastiest Moonsault Stomp in existence.

One forgets that JWP was the best women's wrestling on earth for a while there.

Great story on one of the Studcasts:

Jerry Blackwell was scheduled to work against a wrestling bear and before the show, he asked Fuller if he could throw the bear over the top rope. Given the go ahead, blackwell tried but couldnt do it. Afterwards, the bears trainers was so angry that he said he would never work for Fuller again. 

• Like 1

From WRESTLE AND ROMANCE!  Jushin Thunder Lyger vs Yuji Yasuraoka!  According to Wikipedia, Yasuraoka is now a motorcycle mechanic.  There you go.  Enjoy the 90s VHS video quality.  Memories....

Posted (edited)

@RIPPA

World's best possible Yetti (sic) opponent?

Also, I don't think this has been online for a bit:

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Amazing how Fujiwara can do that buckle spot his entire career and not wind up with a zillion concussions. And you can always hear the *PING*. 

RUSHER KIMURA! IN 1976!  I did not realize that Gypsy Joe was the Cactus Jack of the mid-70s.

-------------------------

RUSHER KIMURA!  IN 1973!  Goddam, Rusher wasn't afraid to bleed enough for an entire 1970s Apter mag cover.  Blackjack LOADS THE GLOVE!  

• Like 3

This match is strange and beautiful.  Stan Hansen is the world's most pissed off Ricky Morton.  Yoshiaki Yatsu and motherfucking Jumbo Tsuruta are the most mega Midnight Express.  And Terry Gordy is the best possible imaginable Robert Gibson.

Posted (edited)

Oh yeahhhhhh, that Joe/Rusher cage match is the jam. So '70s they should have both come out to "Black Betty".

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Your not-WAR but WAR-like random Six Man Tag o'the Day:

David Starr, Brian Cage & Minoru Suzuki vs Sami Callihan, Juice Robinson & Hiroshi Tanahashi

• Like 3

I think this was the first great WAR match I ever saw.  I think it was on a Dave Scherer comp.

• Thanks 1

I can't figure out who is more awesome in this.  Wahoo lays it the fuck in.  Greg Valentine lays it the fuck in.  This might be better than Wahoo vs Johnny Valentine.

---------------------------

This match is fucking great too.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I can't figure out who is more awesome in this.  Wahoo lays it the fuck in.  Greg Valentine lays it the fuck in.  This might be better than Wahoo vs Johnny Valentine.

And thusly, a brilliant T shirt is born.

- RAF

• Like 1

I remember giving my youngest daughter a "I Broke Wahoo's Leg" t-shirt after Dave Layne gave me a medium t-shirt for my birthday.  It was adorable.

• Like 3

Ray Stevens and Nick Bockwinkle in 1973.  Jesus, do Crusher and Stevens bleed.

---------------------

You know who was great?  Crusher Blackwell.

• Like 1

I wonder whatever happened to that Keiko Nakano girl...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DEAN said:

I think this was the first great WAR match I ever saw.  I think it was on a Dave Scherer comp.

That match was fantastic. Onita and Goto were working a million miles an hour and it was amazing to see.

• Like 1

I remember as a small child watching a match on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling TV, Wahoo McDaniel versus Harley Race.  I remember Race saving the world title by slowly throwing Wahoo over the top rope while Wahoo kept chopping him in the face.  Here is the same match-up from Houston- probably the same year as the TV match I watched, 1978.  Harley Race was built to wrestle Wahoo.  Watch him react to the horrendous violence Wahoo visits upon him.  Jesus, the third fall is harrowing in its gnarliness.

• Like 1

Sherri Martel wrestling.

• Like 1

If you ever wanted to see Jon Moxley doing a New Zealand Militia gimmick in Puerto Rico in 2007, this is for you:

Also here's Ray Gonzalez vs Doink The clown from Aniversario 1993 in WWC. I beileve Doink is Steve Keirn here:

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Pete said:

That match was fantastic. Onita and Goto were working a million miles an hour and it was amazing to see.

Modern fans need to see this just to prove that Onita could go a million mph when he wanted to. Most of the time you got those tremendous promos when he'd start crying and then beat the shit out of someone, usually in an exploding ring or somesuch, but the dude could always go. He's my age and he looks like he could still walk into most bars and clean house.

• Like 1

Barry and Scorp getting down at the Clash (a bunch of trailer trash get down to Scorp's music too. The guy in the Sting shirt is particularly amusing).

• Like 2

Killer Tim Brooks takes on Buddy Rose in a dog collar match.  There is blood.

• Like 1