DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Paige signed her WWE Developmental contract right after turning 18. She was a five year veteran at that point. Then again, Rey Jr started so young he was wrestling in the minis division.

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Paige signed her WWE Developmental contract right after turning 18. She was a five year veteran at that point. Then again, Rey Jr started so young he was wrestling in the minis division.

So some lady got to say,"Hey, I wrestled a 13 year old!"  I guess its not as weird as Ice Ribbon training 9 years old.

This showed up in my feed today and it is far more intense than I thought it would be.  I guess Dynamite is 20 or 21 here.  IT'S THE MANCHESTER MEAN MACHINE ROLLERBALL ROCCO!

• Like 2

Raw is on tonight so this might not be the most preposterous wrestling you will see today but I'll bet it's close. Ishikawa and Sasuke take on two pink-and-green bedecked pirates (?) who have hockey mask designs on their masks (??) and are managed by a guy with a toy gun, a fake giant axe, a bullhorn, and an eyepatch (???). One pirate is a little fast highspotty guy with a sick tope suicida who is probably somebody from M-Pro and the other one is a big tall guy who takes his mask off at the end and I don't recognize. All he does in the match is a kneedrop (albeit a very good one). Towards the end of the match the manager is revealed to be wearing a shirt with a Star of David on the back with the word "POWER" written in the middle, so between that and the hockey mask designs I'm thinking these pirates might be related to the Space Jews that fought Ryuma Go once upon a time. Must be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Raw is on tonight so this might not be the most preposterous wrestling you will see today but I'll bet it's close. Ishikawa and Sasuke take on two pink-and-green bedecked pirates (?) who have hockey mask designs on their masks (??) and are managed by a guy with a toy gun, a fake giant axe, a bullhorn, and an eyepatch (???). One pirate is a little fast highspotty guy with a sick tope suicida who is probably somebody from M-Pro and the other one is a big tall guy who takes his mask off at the end and I don't recognize. All he does in the match is a kneedrop (albeit a very good one). Towards the end of the match the manager is revealed to be wearing a shirt with a Star of David on the back with the word "POWER" written in the middle, so between that and the hockey mask designs I'm thinking these pirates might be related to the Space Jews that fought Ryuma Go once upon a time. Must be seen to be believed.

The tall guy has to be Shunji Gran Zebra Takano.

EDIT:  Cagematch verified it.  The other guy, nobody has a clue.

I'm pretty certain that whoever this is, he has a way to buy matches from the French TV studio/government/whatever. We are the beneficiaries.

Some Bollet images below:

Now if we just had the Andre Bollet album:

Delap-bol-+chanteur+++2+001.jpg

Delap-bol_chanteurs+001.jpg

msoB2BC2.jpg

• Like 1

I saw that young Andre match pop up in my recommendations and I just assumed it was one of the ones we have that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet

Jiminy Crickets, this a great wrestling match.  Monster Ripper is more Vader than Vader.  Jaguar is amazing.

Keichi Yamada before he was Jushin thunder Lyger and Rollerball Mark Rocco after he was Black Tiger in Great Britain,  I just found out from Wikipedia that Rocco was a fourth generation wrestler.  I'm trying to figure out if anybody else was a fourth generation wrestler.

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think there are luchadors who are 4th generation. I recall this topic coming up a few years ago. 

Yeah, I was thinking Brazos but that might just be a thousand second generation nephews.

We've seen some new Valentine in the last year, and certainly in the last three or four and what consistently amazes me is just how complete a wrestler he was. It's not even that he seems like he can do everything. It's that he somehow manages to do everything at once and makes it far more than the sum of its parts. His stuff is snug in ways that make you realize you've been taking certain holds for granted. He's ok stooging and mugging and doing comedy, with a face perfect for it, while always seeming tough and dangerous. He can go at high speed when he has to, but he almost never has to because he makes everything mean so much and makes everything feel like an intense struggle. His strikes are great. His bumps are great. He'll interact with the ref and the crowd and his partner, just these really character-focused interactions. The wrestlers that I think who are on that level, like Terry Funk or Negro Casas, or Buddy Rose often end up coming off like the very best of one thing. Valentine is somehow constantly everything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

We've seen some new Valentine in the last year, and certainly in the last three or four and what consistently amazes me is just how complete a wrestler he was. It's not even that he seems like he can do everything. It's that he somehow manages to do everything at once and makes it far more than the sum of its parts. His stuff is snug in ways that make you realize you've been taking certain holds for granted. He's ok stooging and mugging and doing comedy, with a face perfect for it, while always seeming tough and dangerous. He can go at high speed when he has to, but he almost never has to because he makes everything mean so much and makes everything feel like an intense struggle. His strikes are great. His bumps are great. He'll interact with the ref and the crowd and his partner, just these really character-focused interactions. The wrestlers that I think who are on that level, like Terry Funk or Negro Casas, or Buddy Rose often end up coming off like the very best of one thing. Valentine is somehow constantly everything.

I'll sign off on this... 1970s Buddy Rose in Portland/Seattle was amazing before his weight ballooned and he was still damn good after that. Johnny Valentine was in a league of his own, he never held the big belt because he was such a volatile personality they had no idea what he might do. (Yes, you can read "crazy" for "volatile personality" if ya want). He's one of the very few of any era that incorporated absolutely everything you wanted in a pro wrestler, there will likely never be another quite like him. In the modern world, a guy like Johnny Valentine would never get a shot to main event anything, promoters would be too distrustful (and perhaps, rightly so).

• Like 1