DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

An absolute must watch. Busick and Thatcher put on a clinic in front of other indy wrestlers in what seems to be the CZW Wrestling Academy.

• Like 2

Revisiting some old Noah. This is an absolute must watch. Hate filled Jr.'s wrestling. One of the best matches of that year.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

An absolute must watch. Busick and Thatcher put on a clinic in front of other indy wrestlers in what seems to be the CZW Wrestling Academy.

Yeah, all of that is great. I remember watching Gulak mat wrestle with Joe fucking Gacy for like 35 minutes or something and it being compelling. There was some good stuff from there around that time. 

47 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, all of that is great. I remember watching Gulak mat wrestle with Joe fucking Gacy for like 35 minutes or something and it being compelling. There was some good stuff from there around that time. 

Have you seen the series of matches between the Biff, Gulak, Thatcher trio from elsewhere? I was blown away by their matches in Beyond, but haven't seen any of the CZW matches and am curious if they are just as good so I can check them out.

Biff and Thatcher had some awesome stuff in EVOLVE. All three of those guys are fucking golden no matter where they work though.

Another good interpromotional Noah Jr.'s goodie.

• Like 1

Kikuchi one of the best sellers in the world ever, right? He and Fuchi were magical together.

• Like 1

Those matches are gold. Kikuchi as the aging gunslinger willing to die in battle, Liger as the complete bastard eager to kill him. Best interpromotional stuff that doesn't involve WAR, probably.

Anyway, this just showed up in my Youtube feed out of nowhere...

EDIT: After watching that, my only comment is the old adage from DEAN: "Japan is a foreign country."

Is Liger/Tanaka vs Kanemaru/Kikuchi from the NJPW Crossroads show up anywhere on the internet?

29 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is Liger/Tanaka vs Kanemaru/Kikuchi from the NJPW Crossroads show up anywhere on the internet?

Yeah, Ditch.

Liger/Kikuchi and Hashimoto/Misawa are the 2 interpromotional matches we never got to see during their interpromotional wars.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Edwin said:

Another good interpromotional Noah Jr.'s goodie.

Finally got around to watching this and goddamn have I wanted to see it for a long time. After the watch I remembered why: this review by Schneider from DVDVR 140 

PS: The second match (2/7/02) was more about the non-wrestling parts of the feud then the ring work, but the non-wrestling parts were fucking awesome.  Tanaka is such a spectacular Gino Hernandez pretty boy cocky fuck, that any other role he ever played (including his stupid ass AAA undercard Heat gimmick) is an utter waste.  He spends the whole match preening and posing, and making you hate his guts.  My favorite Tanaka moments were him fouling Kanemaru and then taunting him by miming testicular pain, and him making the "come here" motion with his middle finger during the post match pull apart.  Liger is amazing here too- as post match he goes fucking crazy as they have a huge pull apart in the ring.  As he is going to the back, he takes a swing at a female NOAH fan and curses and flips off the crowd. Then he and Tanaka jump Kanemaru back stage, and he destroys the NOAH press conference set. The match was really great too, but was really secondary to all of the spectacular heel heat generated by the NJ two.

The match is all that plus Kikuchi getting kicked right in the back of the head, thus that screencap haha

A BJW goodie I posted in the Japanese pro-wrestling folder:

Happy Birthday, Big John Studd

and Mascarita Dorada

• Like 2

Not a classic by any chance, but a really fun Akiyama and Saito performance.

Another Akiyama and Saito title match, but watch this for Shiga's great performance.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, Web Conn said:

The Embassy is my favorite evil foreigner stable made up mostly of dudes from the United States.

Kenny Omega announcing that he will be live on Twitch the same time that Reigns hits the ring on RAW is the more Elite things possible.   

There's not exactly a ton of All South (Ann Gunkel) from the 80s readily available on youtube.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's not exactly a ton of All South (Ann Gunkel) from the 80s readily available on youtube.

Holy shit, Ann in the flesh. Any idea what year this is from? I heard Thriller, so at least 1982.

Freddie Miller on play by play, this is wild.

This one has David Crockett talking about the Flair nose breaking angle during a Greg Valentine squash from Mid Atlantic & the Midnights on Georgia + a singles Condrey match against Tommy Rich.

• Like 1