DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

On 8/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, Jiji said:

This part cannot be overstated. It's why I don't think you can do a legitimate GOAT list if you include mic work because that gives a massive advantage to English speakers. We know so much about the full picture of what Anglophone wrestlers present to us but don't for luchadores, Japanese wrestlers, continental European wrestlers, etc. NJPW and Stardom do subtitled promos, which is fucking fantastic, but that's just the past couple of years. Like, I don't really need to know exactly what Rush, Suzuki, or Hokuto say in their promos to get a general understanding and feel the emotions they're wanting to convey but it's a huge barrier to getting a complete understanding, particularly for Japan where there were multiple weekly publications covering the stories surrounding the matches and the behind the scenes workings of promotions and the like. Those crowds were super smart to all that stuff because of Weekly Gong/Weekly Pro-Wrestling.

Maeda's picture of a complete selfish prick is complicated when you watch him wrestle guys lower on the totem pole and give them huge hope spots and even dominate sections of matches. But yeah, then there's the Sakata video, the story of he and Mutoh fighting in the '80s, the shoot kicks, the failure of two UWFs because of politics, all of that bullshit.

We have been getting some translated biographies of wrestlers which is great. Nakamura's was a real interesting read. 

I couldn't disagree more. I barely speak a few words of Japanese, (probably horribly), and I never, ever had any doubt in my mind what Atsushi Onita was saying. It didn't matter whether or not I actually understood the words, it was the way he put what he was saying across that made all the difference. I understood EXACTLY what he was saying.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:22 PM, odessasteps said:

I think Phil can ban you for posting this match. ? 

BP was so fucking great back then.

29 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I couldn't disagree more. I barely speak a few words of Japanese, (probably horribly), and I never, ever had any doubt in my mind what Atsushi Onita was saying. It didn't matter whether or not I actually understood the words, it was the way he put what he was saying across that made all the difference. I understood EXACTLY what he was saying.

Did you even read what I said? That was one of my points but we still miss context.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Did you even read what I said? That was one of my points but we still miss context.

I did, and perhaps should have been more specific in that I don't believe that language is an insurmountable barrier in pro-wrestling. As far as context, there really isn't a lot required when talking about mid-90s FMW as I specifically mentioned. You don't need to understand much in the way of context when Onita is throwing himself into barbed wire and Mr. Pogo is carving people up with gardening implements, story pretty much tells itself. ?

Yes, and the original conversation was talking about how non-Japanese speakers often miss out on context and less subtly charismatic people like Misawa and Maeda are often mistaken as having no charisma at all. Misawa and Maeda were stoic in delivery. That we cannot just infer. 

• Like 1

Did you know that Shark Tsuchiya had a TWENTY-SEVEN year career?  Amazing.  This was probably her best match.  Mostly because Kudo would take most of the bumps.  TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Did you know that Shark Tsuchiya had a TWENTY-SEVEN year career?  Amazing.  This was probably her best match.  Mostly because Kudo would take most of the bumps.  TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS!

27 years and the number of good matches could be counted on the fingers of one hand... How do you do a thing that long and not get any better at it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Check the RIP thread

I saw what you shared...thanks for posting those! I was hoping for people to share some more videos here. I didn't see much of Bob, growing up in Canada, so any other cool angles, interviews or matches would be much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

I always got Bad Nurse Nakamura confused with Crusher Maedori.  Maedori was a Shark Tsuchiya clone.  I realize with this match that Nakamura was a perfectly fine Megumi Kudo clone.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I always got Bad Nurse Nakamura confused with Crusher Maedori.  Maedori was a Shark Tsuchiya clone.  I realize with this match that Nakamura was a perfectly fine Megumi Kudo clone.

I always thought "Bad Nurse Nakamura" was one of the greatest wrestling names ever. The very idea of her being your nurse while laid up is the stuff of nightmares.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

This is how you identify the Mad Dog Military post Combat Toyoda:

Bad Nurse = The girl who turned on Kudo and then turned back who looks like the girl from The Ring

Miwa Sato = The tiny spunky one

Shark = The one who looks like Mr. Pogo who tries to kill Kudo all the time w/ a Kusarigama/sickle

Crusher = Ironically, the one with the 93 Crush makeup 

FWIW I think they all still hang out with each other in 2020, which is hilarious. I saw of video (via the suggested video panel) of them just chilling on like Miwa's Youtube page. 

• Like 1