DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Very weird to see non MDM Ted in a (very rickety) WWF ring during this time. Had the MDM vignettes started airing yet? This is from 6/7/87. 

I don't believe so - in the ensuing tag match, he turns heel against Sam Houston and that was that.

@PetrolCB

The turn you could have watched very easily up until a day or two ago.

Anyway, you have to remember that Ted was big in Houston (being a Mid-South/UWF town for the previous few years). They had last seen him as a babyface and #1 in the territory, basically. There are AWESOME Ted babyface matches from December 86-January 87 (The DibiOdyssey vs Gordy/Hayes in a cage and the subsequent Black Glove on a Pole match with Hayes; people seriously need to see those). It would have been jarring for him to just show up as a heel there. Into February and March 87 he had been feuding with Akbar (which we don't have, I don't think). He cuts a promo as a babyface for the first WWF Boesch show in May, I think, and then wrestles in June. The turn is on the next show.

I think Houston was the only spot Dibiase wrestled in 1987 WWF before the gimmick was rolled out. And as said, it was mainly that he was a familiar face to the market and Paul Boesch had just switched his local promoting affiliation to the WWF so I am sure he played a part in that too.

I don't think the One Man Gang match or the turn a few weeks later (in a tag team match with Sam Houston) aired on any WWF tv outside of Boesch's local Houston time slot.

18 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I think Houston was the only spot Dibiase wrestled in 1987 WWF before the gimmick was rolled out. And as said, it was mainly that he was a familiar face to the market and Paul Boesch had just switched his local promoting affiliation to the WWF so I am sure he played a part in that too.

I don't think the One Man Gang match or the turn a few weeks later (in a tag team match with Sam Houston) aired on any WWF tv outside of Boesch's local Houston time slot.

Ahh, alright. Thanks. I remember hearing about some of this on the Houston episode of Bruce Prichard's podcast (very awesome episode and show itself). He mentioned the affiliation and how Boesch ran Steamboat/Savage from WM 3 at the beginning of every show for months. 

The story of the payouts for the tribute show later that year was pretty funny. 

I watched this for the first time today.   It is not complete, about 13 minutes are clipped.    But jeezus, this was pretty damn great....  AWA World Heavyweight title defense in Hawaii.  Nick Bockwinkel vs Jumbo Tsuruta, February 14, 1979

Edited by paul sosnowski

On 6/5/2017 at 9:19 PM, zev said:

Someone's posted the first few episodes of OVW. 

If the year Paul Heyman booked OVW (2005-06, irrc) ever surfaces, watch it.  Still one of my favorite single years in any promotion, and I generally find WWE developmental promotions pre-NXT unwatchable due to all the lousy gimmicks, sudden name changes, unexplained disappearances due to call-ups, etc.  OVW basically got emptied out (of talent) not long before Heyman came in and he has almost nothing to work with.  Punk and Beth Phoenix (as a valet) are maybe the only two notable names to make an impact on the main roster.  I'm probably forgetting someone, but Heyman mostly had to work with Johhny Jeter, Matt Cappotelli, the Throwbacks, Paul Burchill, etc. Talented guys, but not people who found a niche after getting called up.  And yet, OVW was well-booked and pretty damn entertaining.  The Cappotelli-Jeter feud was probably my favorite feud that year.

• Like 1

OVW from late 2006-2007 was my favorite promotion back then. Sean Spears (Tye Dillinger) and Cody Rhodes first feuding with Deuce and Domino, then each other. Santino Marella's gimmick was Boris Alexiev, tapping people out with that Riddle of Steel armbar. Spears was an amazing heel, and actually had good, enjoyable matches with Colt Cabana. Yes, that Colt.

Katie Lea's feud with Beth Phoenix ended in a ladder match. Shame they didn't repeat it at Mania or The SummerSlam with bigger ladders. ODB feuded with Katie too. 

And Gothic Mayhem was one of the most fun mid-card stables ever. Remember them? Platinum Pat Buck (of Cody Rhodes "the streamer thing" list fame), Johnny Punch, Melody and Roni Jonah. The gimmick was they were the biggest, greatest rock band ever, but they didn't actually ever play, thus drawing the ire of the crowds.

You gotta love how every section of the barricade has a sign announcing "NEW ORLEANS POLICE BARRICADE" as if either 1. nobody knows what they are, or 2. they might get lost in storage. Also gotta love Hacksaw telling the ref "get the fuck away from me" right in front of the camera. 

Damn, if I didn't know that was in New Orleans I would have thought it was in Puerto Rico. They even did nut-shots to transition! To cap it all off in the last seconds Buzz is howling like a literal mad dog. That's some wild shit right there. 

EDIT: It's worth noting that that match hit #4 on the Mid-South set voting. Give it a watch.

It got a pop too! 

That second ref that runs in before the pull-apart took a big-ass bump through the ropes. This is also one of those matches where people are splaying on some really scuzzy-looking floors. It's a wonder they didn't end up with Hep or something

Monsoon Classic on YouTube has been posting a lot of matches from Jakked/Metal from late 99 - 2000 that have some really amazing tandems I don't remember: D'lo/Perry Saturn, Essa Rios/Stevie Richards, Headbangers/Viscera, Tazz/Test, and the most amazing one being Godfather/Dean Malenko!

12 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Was that Godfather/Malenko during his ladies man run?

It was. This was back when D'lo was teaming with The Godfather originally, and Dean was with Perry. Apparently both teams got upset with their original partners and decided to switch places. I remember Dean's ladies man run (as great as it was) but I had no idea him and Godfather got at least two tag team title shots at the time.