DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

I didn't know Baron Von Raschke was a face all the way back in 1981.  I think I must have started watching AWA on ESPN during the horrendous feud with Jimmy Garvin in 85ish.  Here you go- enjoy a lovable goose-stepping nazi.

Stan Hansen vs. Riki Choshu (April 5, 1986)

Riki Choshu vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (November 4, 1985) Rewatched this match. Lots of working submission holds, somewhat of a build.

Edited by D.Z

36 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Nick Bockwinkle outbleeds fucking Rusher Kimura?  In 1979?

That's the only time I've seen him bleed outside his feud with Adnan al Kaissey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

The tragic figure, Sherri Martel.

I raise you the bump Sherri took in this match below at 4:58:

She went over the top rope like a goddamn Slinky.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Now, pre-Colonel DeBeers locking up with young boy Takashi Ishikawa is some good stuff. Wiskoski's booked as a fairly big deal there but whenever I saw him pop up in Mid-South during 1982 he was nothing more than a jobber. Kinda curious to track down more matches of his from that 78-85 stretch to see how he fared in other territories.

On that note, this also ruled:

God damn, peak KENTA with that run of the Differ Cup tag tournament (never forget him doing the "where is he?" shtick over MIKAMI), the SUWA and Marvin matches, think there was some great stuff with Makoto Hashi (the most underrated?), and his work against heavyweights (TAKAYAMA)... I am not a fan of his work lately but he ruled, neither am I a fan of Marufuji for the most part but even then they had some good matches with each other. Oh and how about that Bryan Danielson match too. I should watch some KENTA over the next month.

Thank you for that.

edit: just like there's an alternate reality of Kevin Greene in Mongo's role (though that twitter feed is making me rethink that), there's another one in which KENTA was not Kobashi's underling but Kawada's. How dope would those two have been? KENTA has so much of Kawada in his style and personality, just with less size and more speed, basically. Kawada & KENTA vs. Kensuke & Nakajima in NOAH 2005? ?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1