DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Great old school chain match with a ton of heat and psychology, but probably most notable here, Bull Nakano is a master "swordsman". 

1. We were talking about when has someone blading another wrestler gone well not too long ago. It took me a couple rewatches to figure out how they did all this. At the 9:39 mark, Bull picks up something off the mat that one of the ring seconds dropped with her left hand. She quickly switches it to her right hand. She does a snapmare, wraps the chain around the Kandori's head, and the camera shot switches to the other side away from Bull's right hand. Zip. Blood magically starts gushing out just above the eyebrow and around the eye injury Kandori came into the match with. Bull still has the gig in her right hand as she stands up triumphantly and has it clenched with her index finger and thumb. At the 10:12 mark, she nonchalantly places it down on the mat and the LLPW referee steps on it and slides it out of the ring with her foot like nothing is going on. 

2. Now, it's Bull turn but I guess she was on her independent woman kick. At the 16:45 mark, one of the ring seconds outside the ring is standing there nervous as all get out holding something in her hand trying to figure out how to hand this off without being seen. I am going to say your cover was blown. Said person relays it to another person from whom Bull snatches it away from at the 16:57 mark. I guess they handed it to her the wrong way because she has to roll it around in her hand. It turns out to be no problem cause at the 17:03 mark when Kandori is going over the bottom rope, she bends her head down, places her right hand underneath her hair, and fucking drags that shit from one side of her head to the other as hard as she possibly can. At the 17:05 mark, the LLPW ref retrieves their second gig of the match. I dunno if she planned on cutting herself too deep, but if the desired outcome was for half her face (and then her whole face) to turn red in a matter of seconds, she couldn't have done it any better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just watched almost all of The Seventh Seal but the DVR recording cut off the end. Then I decided to watch this and... well, the lesson is basically "fuck me". Still a great match though. Heel vs. Heel? And you still want Adrian to take Jim's leg off and stick it up his ass? These are two masters at work right here.

One of the things I love about WOS is how everyone fights within the rules for the most part, and chicanery is kept to a minimum. It's why Lord Al is so great here- he's completely corrupted after four years in the US working the "all-in" American style ("which is effectively no rules at all"), and he's out of fucks to give if you don't like him pulling hair or ignoring the ref's instructions. Simple good-vs-evil structure, and the fans are eating it alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pete said:

One of the things I love about WOS is how everyone fights within the rules for the most part, and chicanery is kept to a minimum. It's why Lord Al is so great here- he's completely corrupted after four years in the US working the "all-in" American style ("which is effectively no rules at all"), and he's out of fucks to give if you don't like him pulling hair or ignoring the ref's instructions. Simple good-vs-evil structure, and the fans are eating it alive.

I keep hoping we get more 70s heel Hayes footage at some point. I think he spent a chunk of it in Amarillo and forget that. It's the lost territory.

• Like 1

Anybody know if either the  Joe/Dean Malenko vs Fantastics or the Joe Malenko/Kikuchi vs Fantastics matches from AJPW are online anyware?  I had a link to the first from a while back but it seems to have died.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Anybody know if either the  Joe/Dean Malenko vs Fantastics or the Joe Malenko/Kikuchi vs Fantastics matches from AJPW are online anyware?  I had a link to the first from a while back but it seems to have died.

• Like 2