DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Sooo, on top of Twitter videos/gifs randomly deciding to play or not to play in my browser (even after I deleted cookies/cleared cache+history), dailymotion doesn't even load in Chrome or Firefox either. I don't use it an awful lot but this is frustrating. Anybody else have this issue?

That's incredibly awesome about Tenay's collection going up on YT & DM though. I'm a little surprised Tenay doesn't do any podcasts (that I am aware of), as he's basically the only guy that can challenge Meltzer in terms of wrestling nerdism and historical knowledge from across the world. He did that one episode with Dave and I think Garrett after Beyer passed last year (wow, we're already coming up to the one year anniversary, insane!). 

Was there anything worthwhile on WWF Mania?

Edited by Oyaji

41 minutes ago, elizium said:

Isn't Mania where the Kliq tag team match happened? HBK/Diesel v Razor/123?

No, that was the Action Zone. Mania was the Saturday morning show, that later become LiveWire. Action Zone was the Sunday afternoon replacement for All American.

• Like 1

I don't recall Mania ever having any exclusive matches of significance.

I thought Bret/Bulldog vs Owen/Neidhart (Don't Call Them The New Foundation) was an Action Zone exclusive but it appears I'm mistaken as the first result that turns up is a RAW match.

unless they did more than one tag match in this period, which is possible.

meanwhile, since there is currently a dearth of new IIconics matches to watch, here they are going against each other 10 years ago, presumably somewhere in Australia

[love Billie/Jessie's Eddie Gilbertesque hometown btw, but you probably expected I would]

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 8:24 PM, Edwin said:

A reminder that Buzz Sawyer rules. Also, what a match.

You don't need to remind me that Buzz rules, man.

This is my SECOND favorite squash match of all time.

This is the first.

RIP Jerry Price.  The heavy set woman in the white shirt (keep an eye on the left side of the vid) that catches the vapors when Price hits the deck sells this match.

Now there's a topic for discussion.  The Buzz Sawyer / Kevin Sullivan match begs the question what is your favorite squash match where the squash worker(s) loses to the jobber?   Naturally by DQ or count out.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Now I am thinking of fans that help sell matches and once again we turn to the SST.

There is a black kid in the audience that marks for every big bump the SST put on poor Randy Mulkey and Bob Emory.

At one point, he high-fives nearly everyone in the audience after Samu's flying facebuster spot.

No, the black kid is not me.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My brain is not 100% at the moment, but I vaguely recall Hansen losing a TV match in the AWA when he beats the job guy to death and gets DQ ed. 

Nope, you're on the money.  Hansen lost his "debut" match in the AWA via DQ and IIRC got a title shot against Rick Martel like a month later.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Matt D said:

Awesome minimalism

On the topic of "awesome minimalism", sadly not on YouTube but a great revelation to me recently was from the August 1977 MSG show on the WWE Network, with a match where Superstar Graham defends the WWWF Title against Ivan Putski. Without spoiling and going into too much detail, the match structure is beautifully simple but every beat is hit perfectly and when the big move comes, it gets one the loudest non-Bruno pops I have heard on those 70s MSG shows. 

• Like 1

Here's a hot take: Takada blows. His work on the NJ '80s set was horrible (consensus worst match: Takada vs. the Cobra) and unless he's fighting someone like Vader or Tenryu he's boring. Even in that match his selling consists of flopping around like a fish in lieu of selling like Tenryu, who looks like he's about to give up the ghost, and they STILL insist on having an enormous goddamn leglock section that should be watched in fast forward. 

Mandrews with the interesting idea for a YouTube series:

Marty Scurll, Mark Andrews, Jimmy Havoc, Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford watch Jimmy Havoc's first ever Pro-Wrestling match. He was a total Jeff Hardy wannabe at the time.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Mutoh vs Sasaki. 1999. I was playing Pokemon Yellow at the time.

'99 Mutoh is so under the radar amazing. A little sloppy but always captivating. Kensuke was a prick back then but incredible most of the time too (bless Hokuto for giving us lovable Dad Kensuke). Listen to that crowd! Counter avalanche powerbomb was filthy. 

• Like 1

I remember on the green and yellow DVDVR days folks were pushing Takada, Harley Race and el Hijo del Santo as the GOAT.

Edited by Edwin