DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Jumbo Tsuruta and Tenryu take on Ric Flair and Rick Martell.  I never knew they ever tagged together.  Whaddyaknow.

If I remember right, Flair and Martel wrestled each other on the same tour. 

i know I got a comp tape with both matches on it. 

If you get burned out on Japanese pro-wrestling, here's more Joint Promotions. Another Rollerball vs. Dynamite Kid match that rules. Rollerball is truly great and I dig this series of matches more than the Tiger Mask series.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, Edwin said:

I know Big Daddy isn't thought of this super worker or anything, but he's fantastic in his role here and this is quite the neat match.

I think that Big Daddy was a smart worker in that he knew his role as the hot tag and did his best to excel at it.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that Big Daddy was a smart worker in that he knew his role as the hot tag and did his best to excel at it.

In single though, yikes. Haven't rewatched those in forever, but have them queued up, so my opinion maybe different on him now.

Edited by Edwin

More Rollerball goodness. A bit long, but well worth every minute. Rollerball finds a weakness and he does a fantastic job exploiting it. Marty does a neat job selling, bumping and putting together a fiery comeback.

Spoiler

Not to spam the thread with Rollerball matches, but there another great match against Marty Jones.

Spoiler

And one more Rollerball match. This is against Mal Sanders and it's as good as you would expect it to be.

These two matches are from a one night tournament from ASW. ASW's style was a bit more North American than the traditional British wrestling you maybe accustomed to watching. It reminds more of Stampede Wrestling than it does of the Joint Promotions wrestling from World of Sport. Rocco is great in both of these. He goes nuts and just gets massive heat and brawls with his opponents around ringside. He also takes his usual big bumps such as getting tossed off the ringside stage into the ring by Kung Fu in the first match. There's also a really great running dropkick over the top rope into the ring from Chic Cullen in the second match. I know Rollerball is mostly seeing as a Jr. who worked and excelled at the fast paced wild spot heavy Jr.'s style, but he was also a fantastic brawler who wasn't afraid to bleed. He was also a good promo. There's some bonus post match chaos in these, so keep watching after the matches.

Edited by Edwin

On 11/10/2019 at 12:06 PM, DEAN said:

Killer Khan, Crusher fuckin Blackwell, Harley Race and some shmoe.

Apparently Harley felt the same way considering how he just pitched him out of the ring as soon as he got in there.

That has to be one of the most vocal matches I've ever seen, everybody growling up a storm. Love Blackwell's reaction at the end, standing there hands on hips, then coming out and tossing one half-hearted blow while Khan and Harley are fighting with the chairs. "Hey, Joe couldn't keep them apart, what do you expect me to do?"

EDIT: Fujiwara versus... Bob Slaughter? Okay. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2