DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm convinced there's some really interesting old Brazillian pro wrestling out there that we just haven't seen here in the states 

This isn't it, but I remain convinced.

Have you tried YouTube searching for Gigantes do Ring (Giants of the Ring)? Based on what I've seen, that seems to be the name of the show this all comes from.

For what it's worth -- there's some recent stuff from Chile and Argentina in which Dick Togo was involved in some years ago. There's this famous Dick Togo match against Hip Hop Men from Argentina:

That match took place when Dick Togo went on his retirement tour some years ago.

I know there's some pro-wrestling from Panama also, but I don't remember the name of the organization. I know the promoter used to promote MMA events also under the UCC banner, but I haven't spoken with him in years since I stopped covering their events.

What I like about this is that it's more of 80s Finlay than you'd almost ever see in WCW, especially the first few minutes with jawing with the crowd but also the eye poke (not rake, poke) transition on the floor, some of the early feeding, and then actual begging off post-Iaukea comeback. 99 Finlay begged off against 99 Iaukea. He combined that with beating the crud out of him too, of course.

Ok, this is a tre-freaking-mendous squash. Look for the Angle Slam, the German into a Side Slam, the Regal flipping senton, and most of all, the Regal punches in the corner, which I'm going to go gif now.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Thirty Three Years Ago Today

This brings to mind an Apter mag story about it where Lex is supposedly recounting this match, the first meeting between the two, to a pool of reporters. It took everything Flair had to escape with his belt but Lex wasn't impressed. He got lucky this time but when they meet again, it'll be like taking candy from a baby. Lex goes on about how he had heard so much about the Great Ric Flair but he just didn't see it and how someone told him "But Lex, you shoulda seen him five years ago!!" 

Ric Flair: Has-been of 1986. 

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ok, this is a tre-freaking-mendous squash. Look for the Angle Slam, the German into a Side Slam, the Regal flipping senton, and most of all, the Regal punches in the corner, which I'm going to go gif now.

A proper telling off from his Lordship at 3:53 ?

Man, the stuff I missed when I was a kid... a mysterious benefactor has aided me in my quest for Dangerous Alliance material and this is the first serious gem I've seen. The story is that Barry Windham has been tagging with a 21-year old Dustin but the Enforcers have smashed his arm in a car door (thus leading to Larry nicknaming himself "the Cruncher") and he had to have reconstructive surgery. Barry shows up with his arm taped and says he's got another partner for Dustin. Out comes a guy wearing a cape and one of those gigantic dragon Halloween masks that costs like a hundred bucks at the local magic shop. Dustin takes them off and it's the missing Rick Steamboat, leading to the Clash crowd E-X-P-L-O-D-I-N-G and the Enforcers losing it in a fit of panic. Then all four guys proceed to tear it up in a classic tag. Larry was a great partner for Arn and the part where he slaps Steamer and flat sprints out of the ring to escape his wrath is the best. Super angle, super crowd, super hot match.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

is is a tre-freaking-mendous squash. Look for the Angle Slam, the German into a Side Slam, the Regal flipping senton, and most of all, the Regal punches in the corner, which I'm going to go gif now.

Also features a whole pile of Dusty being Dusty. He was really in rare form here with the "Rhodeisms". 

Poor Barry Houston. Also, didn't know "Maniac" Mike Davis from Global and World Class worked in WCW. I looked him up and he died at only 45 of a massive heart attack within the same six month period of the deaths of Terry Gordy and Chris Adams.

EDIT: Huh. In Mike's Wiki it said that the Rock'n'Roll RPMs' finisher was called the Spandex Splits and was banned due to giving people neck injuries. What was that move exactly? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man, the stuff I missed when I was a kid... a mysterious benefactor has aided me in my quest for Dangerous Alliance material and this is the first serious gem I've seen. The story is that Barry Windham has been tagging with a 21-year old Dustin but the Enforcers have smashed his arm in a car door (thus leading to Larry nicknaming himself "the Cruncher") and he had to have reconstructive surgery. Barry shows up with his arm taped and says he's got another partner for Dustin. Out comes a guy wearing a cape and one of those gigantic dragon Halloween masks that costs like a hundred bucks at the local magic shop. Dustin takes them off and it's the missing Rick Steamboat, leading to the Clash crowd E-X-P-L-O-D-I-N-G and the Enforcers losing it in a fit of panic. Then all four guys proceed to tear it up in a classic tag. Larry was a great partner for Arn and the part where he slaps Steamer and flat sprints out of the ring to escape his wrath is the best. Super angle, super crowd, super hot match.

Glory days that mate, that's when WCW really started to get over the aftershocks of Flair leaving

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It gets even better when Larry Z is replaced by Bobby Eaton as Arn's partner and they have some classic matches with Dustin and The Dragon.

I'm gonna carry this over from Segunda and their high praise, which is very deserving. The file opens with a singles match that is mostly two guys Euro uppercutting each other to death. Both of them look like two old guys that are weirdly cut, in the way somebody's granddad who was a boxer or a sailor would look, no "supplements" here just a life spent at hard work. Then we have a LONG (and I'm not going to lie about that, you might have to take a break in this one) tag between a clear heel (note the ridiculous trunks above) team and face team... and they light it the fuck up proper real quick. The speed and intricacy these guys work at is like prime lucha but how it ends up breaking down to different tactics through the three falls is super fun and something universal to anyone who likes wrestling. You could show this to your grandma and she'd be into it, but so would you, probably even more.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Okay, I did my due diligence and watched the Tiger Mask matches. The Porky match was fun but Sayama didn't want to sell for him much; Porky stealing the Neckbreaker Drop from Baba was funny to see in NJPW. The Villano match was all "hail fellow, well met" with nothing but matwork but it was slick as hell. The real interesting one was the Halcon match because Halcon beat the crap out of Sayama the whole time and Sayama didn't even want to take a rail ride for him at one point. You could have probably stuck the last two in the spots of two of the crappier Tiger matches on the '80s set IMO (though to be honest he didn't come out well at all overall on there). 

Edited by Curt McGirt