DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

KTBrooks was the second most intimidating pro wrestler that I ever met in person. I offered him a cigar, and he got in my face and snarled "this ain't one of the loaded ones that explodes is it, because people have tried to to that to me before, y'know" and I stammered my reassurance of the stogie's veracity as well as my respect for his body of work. He really looked at that point (circa 2000? I gotta think on that) liked a learned and wise rabbi, which also delighted/unnerved me.

- RAF

p.s. - #3, Harley Race - formidable but gentle if unprovoked - turned down my cigar gifting for a coffin nail but accepted my offer of a drink (Stoli on the rocks) , #1 Rey Misterio (Sr) who was the very definition of grizzled, gruff and gigged up but gladly accepted my ofrecimiento of a cigar and we sat in the balcony and critiqued (in spanglish) the opening matches of a card we were on. Later, the young lucha guys were shocked that he spoke to me at all. Kids, the lesson today is that tobacco is not just for looking cool or getting the older kids to like you - it opens doors and hearts and doors of hearts.

• Like 7

Well guess what I just found

New Japan TV (March 4th, 1995)

(First two matches were the Heisei Ishingun show at Korakuen Hall on February 12th, the last was a New Japan evening show at Korakuen Hall)
1) Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Michiyoshi Ohara
2) Shiro Koshinaka/Kabuki/Tatsutoshi Gotoh vs Masa Saito/Yoshiaki Yatsu/Junji Hirata

NJ show:

Choshu/Hashimoto/Hirata vs. Chono/Tenzan/Hiro Saito

as raved about by Pete in DVDVRs of yore. You gotta see this for Masa Saito bodyslamming like six or seven guys in a row alone. Guest appearance by... Sabu? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

I didn't recall ever having seen the Showboat match between Bock and Curt before so I tracked it down. It's a doozy. If you like Flair/Steamboat (like you don't) then you should dig this a lot. There's some matwork in here as fast and as fluid as any lucha maestros. Lord James Blears gets to rambling and naming wrestlers too often but they gotta keep the time filled somehow. Plus, blood! 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I offered him a cigar, and he got in my face and snarled "this ain't one of the loaded ones that explodes is it, because people have tried to to that to me before, y'know"

This made me burst out laughing, I can totally picture the scene. If I'd been the one offering the cigar I wouldn't know how to react

On 8/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, odessasteps said:

That's my evening entertainment sorted. Absolute clinics, Rocco was pure pitbull mentality