DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Wow. Harley clean as a whistle over Dusty in 1975. I guess the American Dream hype hadn't hit Japan yet?

Looking it up, it was 2 days after Terry Funk beat Jack Brisco to win the title in Miami. Neither were on that card. 

Edited by odessasteps

Choshu played a huge role in shifting AJPW's style away from the laying around in a headlock NWA style to the more upbeat, strike reliant form the 4 pillars mastered in the '90s. Not much is better in life than watching Riki Choshu wildin out with testy motherfuckers like Tenryu, Jumbo, Maeda, Fujinami, or Inoki.

• Like 2

From 1988, Lori Lynn who was Natasha in GLOW takes on Magnificent Mimi.  Oh man, Natasha was such a great gimmick for 1988.  If you were 22.  And were watching GLOW.  And were a dude,

• Like 1

That was looooooong for a squash, and yeah them guys got tore apart. Also, they mentioned Mike Samples and I thought Bert Prentice was him at first when he wandered by because of the outfit. Then I was like "that guy is way too short and fat to be Mike Samples"... though I bet Mike Samples had a mullet once upon a time. 

Methinks the Stump Puller, even though it doesn't look very good, really really hurts. Your hammies after that have to be screaming. 

Also you gotta love Corey Macklin calling Doink "Donk"

Edited by Curt McGirt

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

@sydneybrown @CreativeControl @Smelly McUgly @Curt McGirt

Rejoice, someone posted the USWA show with the Doink tag squash:

Cool find.  I totally forgot the WWF/USWA angle started in 92 (Jarrett challenging Bret on a Memphis house show) and not with the Bret/Lawler feud.  

Those who think this was brutal need to see The Moondogs annihilating jobbers the year before.

For people looking forward to the Slater vs Valentine cage match that we should be getting today (and for all I know it's just a two minute blow off as Valentine's leaving the territory, but it shouldn't be; there's reason to have high expectations), here's your homework:

This has the angle that basically turns Valentine face and puts the US title on Slater. 

This is a TV match as part of a TV title tournament that's a month or two before the show and it gives you a pretty good look at face Valentine.

• Like 2

Oh man, Killer Tim Brooks and Killer Khan in the same match.

-----------------

From the same show, Yatsu, Tenryu and fricking Kurisu.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, DEAN said:

From 1988, Lori Lynn who was Natasha in GLOW takes on Magnificent Mimi.  Oh man, Natasha was such a great gimmick for 1988.  If you were 22.  And were watching GLOW.  And were a dude,

The two things I vaguely remember from GLOW were Natasha's brief face run against the Kitty's Killers stable where she wore pink instead of red and Hollywood's singles run to the GLOW crown and her amazing flying head-scissors finisher.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1