DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

On 6/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, odessasteps said:

went back to watch these after listening to Ron discuss it on Fuller’s pod today. 

Assume this is the one you pay for? The ones I'm seeing on my pod feed only go up to April 1975...

I was searching for Lioness Asuka in YouTube and this match popped up.  The violence of this match- and Hotta accepting kicks to the face like they were nothing- was key in shaping my opinion of women's wrestling.  Lioness is my favorite women's wrestler.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't that on a Schneider Comp? I remember at least one Hotta match on one that was horrific in its violence.

I'm assuming that if there was one on a Schneider comp, that would be the one,

Joe vs Lashley from Slammiversary XII (2014). The only place where crowds are this hot for Lashley matches now, are in Lashley's dreams.

• Like 2

I was watching some 90's Hikari Fukuoka matches, but this was the only one I could find with a Moonsault Stomp- but it's also the nastiest Moonsault Stomp in existence.

Great story on one of the Studcasts:

Jerry Blackwell was scheduled to work against a wrestling bear and before the show, he asked Fuller if he could throw the bear over the top rope. Given the go ahead, blackwell tried but couldnt do it. Afterwards, the bears trainers was so angry that he said he would never work for Fuller again. 

• Like 1

From WRESTLE AND ROMANCE!  Jushin Thunder Lyger vs Yuji Yasuraoka!  According to Wikipedia, Yasuraoka is now a motorcycle mechanic.  There you go.  Enjoy the 90s VHS video quality.  Memories....

RUSHER KIMURA! IN 1976!  I did not realize that Gypsy Joe was the Cactus Jack of the mid-70s.

-------------------------

RUSHER KIMURA!  IN 1973!  Goddam, Rusher wasn't afraid to bleed enough for an entire 1970s Apter mag cover.  Blackjack LOADS THE GLOVE!  

• Like 3

This match is strange and beautiful.  Stan Hansen is the world's most pissed off Ricky Morton.  Yoshiaki Yatsu and motherfucking Jumbo Tsuruta are the most mega Midnight Express.  And Terry Gordy is the best possible imaginable Robert Gibson.

Your not-WAR but WAR-like random Six Man Tag o'the Day:

David Starr, Brian Cage & Minoru Suzuki vs Sami Callihan, Juice Robinson & Hiroshi Tanahashi

• Like 3

I can't figure out who is more awesome in this.  Wahoo lays it the fuck in.  Greg Valentine lays it the fuck in.  This might be better than Wahoo vs Johnny Valentine.

---------------------------

This match is fucking great too.

• Like 2

I remember giving my youngest daughter a "I Broke Wahoo's Leg" t-shirt after Dave Layne gave me a medium t-shirt for my birthday.  It was adorable.

• Like 3

Ray Stevens and Nick Bockwinkle in 1973.  Jesus, do Crusher and Stevens bleed.

---------------------

You know who was great?  Crusher Blackwell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DEAN said:

I think this was the first great WAR match I ever saw.  I think it was on a Dave Scherer comp.

That match was fantastic. Onita and Goto were working a million miles an hour and it was amazing to see.

• Like 1

I remember as a small child watching a match on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling TV, Wahoo McDaniel versus Harley Race.  I remember Race saving the world title by slowly throwing Wahoo over the top rope while Wahoo kept chopping him in the face.  Here is the same match-up from Houston- probably the same year as the TV match I watched, 1978.  Harley Race was built to wrestle Wahoo.  Watch him react to the horrendous violence Wahoo visits upon him.  Jesus, the third fall is harrowing in its gnarliness.

• Like 1