DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

I'll sign off on this... 1970s Buddy Rose in Portland/Seattle was amazing before his weight ballooned and he was still damn good after that. Johnny Valentine was in a league of his own, he never held the big belt because he was such a volatile personality they had no idea what he might do. (Yes, you can read "crazy" for "volatile personality" if ya want). He's one of the very few of any era that incorporated absolutely everything you wanted in a pro wrestler, there will likely never be another quite like him. In the modern world, a guy like Johnny Valentine would never get a shot to main event anything, promoters would be too distrustful (and perhaps, rightly so).

None of us have the luxuries you did. We don't have the Tuesday night shows, only the Saturday night ones, but we do have those and that means we get to see Buddy in an Arena setting against a bevy of opponents on a week to week basis and there are very few people we have in that same sort of scenario. The point of comparison I'd make was how Buddy could somehow retain the aura of being dangerous, of being able to really hurt someone, of being able to hit that Robinson backbreaker and score a fall out of nowhere, despite being such an obvious ham. I think part of the benefit there was the booking and how he was protected, but I honestly think so much of it was due to the 2/3 fall nature of Portland. It meant that in every match, against every opponent, no matter how tough, Buddy was going to be scoring a fall.

• Like 1

I'm wondering why they never put the world title on Valentine.  Everyone who wrestled in the 60s and 70s were total psychos.  Mid-Atlantic trusted him enough that they changed their whole style of wrestling to accommodate him and he seemed pretty stable until the plane crash.  Of course, that was later in his career so maybe he was no longer the psycho's psycho.

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

I'm wondering why they never put the world title on Valentine.  Everyone who wrestled in the 60s and 70s were total psychos.  Mid-Atlantic trusted him enough that they changed their whole style of wrestling to accommodate him and he seemed pretty stable until the plane crash.  Of course, that was later in his career so maybe he was no longer the psycho's psycho.

If even a quarter of the Johnny V. stories that have circulated over the years are true, most promoters were just terrified of what he might do as a lark, not to mention what he might do if he were actually pissed off about something.  I fully agree that a goodly portion of the wrestlers in the 1960s and 1970s would likely have been locked up somewhere were it not for their in-ring careers, but Johnny V. even managed to stand out from the pack in that regard as well, yes, the psycho's psycho pretty much sums it up. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Speaking of Playboy Buddy Rose, this just popped up in my feed. Rose is fucking awesome in this,

z

Damn, Buddy Rose was great in his prime, even well past it he was pretty damn good. When he turned face after years of being the most hated heel in Portland you could hear the shouts and cheers from Portland all the way to Seattle, there wasn't anything approaching a pop like that until Roddy Piper turned Art Barr into Beetlejuice. 

• Like 1

Barry Windham was 1975 John Buscema Conan the Barbarian.  Steve Austin is a giant magic snake.  Yes, O Prince,  his matches are filled with mirth and melancholy.

• Like 2

That ~30 minute Windham/Murdoch match on the Mid-South set that is entirely based around Windham clowning Murdoch with a wrist lock is one of the smartest, best worked matches I've ever seen. Those two were perfect for each other. Murdoch brought the colourful personality and chickenshit heel tactics while Barry brought the straight-laced babyface fire.

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That ~30 minute Windham/Murdoch match on the Mid-South set that is entirely based around Windham clowning Murdoch with a wrist lock is one of the smartest, best worked matches I've ever seen. Those two were perfect for each other. Murdoch brought the colourful personality and chickenshit heel tactics while Barry brought the straight-laced babyface fire.

According to Windham's shoot interview,  he learned how to work by refereeing Murdock matches.  Which is awesome.

• Like 3

I remember watching that Windham/Murdoch match on TV and, boy howdy, does it stand up to the test of time. Whindham - plucky, strong, spirited, and Murdoch - dastardly, experienced, tenacious, are two of my all time favorites. This is a classroom on the different ways to throw and sell punches. No wonder my standards are high.

- RAF 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 2:01 AM, DEAN said:

Yeah, I was thinking Brazos but that might just be a thousand second generation nephews.

Update from the other day

Forgot about Jimmy Golden's son being a wrestler. Should have known there would be a fourth generation Welch family member.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

went back to watch these after listening to Ron discuss it on Fuller’s pod today. 

International Wrestling tv was shown in Toronto back then...I vividly remember watching this.