DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, I just found one of the infamous WAR matches that cracked the DVDVR #100 coverage -- not a greatest of all time match, but in the "also ran" running. And with a lineup like this it fits the original purpose of this thread to a tee.

Here's the original review by DEAN

ELIMINATORS/ HECTOR GARZA vs. JIMMY SNUKA/MIL MASCARAS /BOB BACKLUND- WAR 7/7/95 
(RASMUSSEN) 
The great thing about WAR was that they weren't afraid to fly all these guys over, corral them all in a wrestling ring and say, "HEY! You guys should wrestle round the ring and stuff!"  Jimmy Snuka.  Perry Saturn. Mil Mascaras. Bob Bachlund. Hector Garza.  John Kronus.  Ah- why the hell not.  Of course, a match with a line-up as disparate and fucked as this- three over-the-hill guys against three (then) crazy high-flyers must assuredly........... RULE!  Go figure.  Snuka works his ass off for the last time in his career.  Backlund lays the foundation for his freaky BattlARTS run four years later.  Perry Saturn DIES like a MAN.  WAR frickin' ruled and it ruled because of weird shit like this. Mil Mascaras is suitably corpse-like. 

You should really see this because of the ridiculous performance by Backlund, who is in supreme goofball mode but is beloved by the surprisingly rowdy Japanese crowd, who are either chanting for or laughing at and even heckling him the whole time. He must say "WHOA" while selling about a thousand times in this match, takes two nasty bumps outside, and generally is just a complete ham. And Mil actually does some good looking matwork! I don't know where Saturn dies though, maybe I missed it, but Garza does an insane tornillo from the post that you HAVE to see.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Because Silver King and Los Cowboys fucking RULED.

I watched all of these last night in a beer-fueled session at a friend's house by myself after he crashed. The best one is probably the Super Astro one because everyone tries to work a zillion miles an hour, but maybe the most interesting is the Negro Casas one because it's two ostensible rudos working technico because Mexico hates Puerto Rico and Miguel Perez Jr. is stiff as shit. 

And all the people that are posting the death footage on Youtube? Rot in hell. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Given it was all old JCP folks, figured my con report might be best put here and not in the main thread. 

First, I was set up next to DVDVR Alum Tim Noel, Who I prob hadn’t seen in 10 years, since I went to shows down in VA. We lamented that we would prob not see Dean or JT at the show. (We were right, since both had family stuff.) 

i talked to JC and JJ and even Jackie Crockett about the existence of 86 Crockett Cup footage. Everyone doubts it exists outside of clip form found on the video tape release and if either JCP or Watts had it, Vince has it now. 

Talked to Jim about what kind of market Bloomington was for Dick the Bruiser (not at all) and the progress of his Kickstarter comic (couple months maybe).

talked to JJ about doing the pod and some angles in Florida. Later, Matt asked me to ask him about a 1970 match from ?Houston where JJ managed Prof Tanaka vs Lewin and Hart. JJ was amused when he saw the tremendous blade job he did. He also put over Lewin, who he first saw team with Don Curtis in NY. 

Got to ask Bobby about his best non-MX partner. He agreed with both JC and I that it was Koko. 

Got to talk to Dennis about Phil Hickerson. Dennis said he is doing the Charlotte con in the summer.i did not ask about THAT story. ? 

talked to Baby Doll about her dad promoting Lubbock, Andre’s thoughts on “Andrea the lady giant”, Gino’s career being rediscovered now after the doc and what angle people ask about most.yes, it is the envelope. 

Briefly talked to Jim Nelson about the final conflict match and was that crowd as crazy as people say. He said yes, he never saw anything like it before or after. 

Chatted with Barry Rose about his pod with Jeff Bowdren and Jeffs book, which should be out this summer.

it was a fun short show, only going from 9-2:30 ish. Went by pretty quick and it was a steady crowd in a relatively small hotel meeting room. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 5

Christ do I love Jim Breaks!
I love thart match he had with Adrian Street that hopefully is still on Youtube. Just everything about Breaks is the opposite of what we've been told to think a wrstler should look like the last 30 years

James

• Like 1

One forgets how awesome the Great Muta was when he first showed up.

And he then breaks all of Steve Casey's ribs.

And the feud with Eddie Gilbert.

• Like 4

Speaking of 17 year old Billingtons:

Mark is 17, anyway. Thomas is 15. Dyno's younger brother's boys.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

UK has always been that way though right? Werent Regal and Davey Boy around the same age when they started?

Actually, today I watched a Millie McKenzie match today and, from what I can gather, she started when she was 14ish.

• Like 1