DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I always thought it was interesting how guys like Roop and Garvin and Orton worked for numerous opposition groups, but were welcomed back to places like Florida and Crockett.

I've always thought that right there was a big endorsement of their talent level.

A big gulf in talent level from Roop/Garvin/Orton down to Eddy Mansfield/Jim Wilson.

An absolute must watch. Busick and Thatcher put on a clinic in front of other indy wrestlers in what seems to be the CZW Wrestling Academy.

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

An absolute must watch. Busick and Thatcher put on a clinic in front of other indy wrestlers in what seems to be the CZW Wrestling Academy.

Yeah, all of that is great. I remember watching Gulak mat wrestle with Joe fucking Gacy for like 35 minutes or something and it being compelling. There was some good stuff from there around that time. 

47 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, all of that is great. I remember watching Gulak mat wrestle with Joe fucking Gacy for like 35 minutes or something and it being compelling. There was some good stuff from there around that time. 

Have you seen the series of matches between the Biff, Gulak, Thatcher trio from elsewhere? I was blown away by their matches in Beyond, but haven't seen any of the CZW matches and am curious if they are just as good so I can check them out.

Those matches are gold. Kikuchi as the aging gunslinger willing to die in battle, Liger as the complete bastard eager to kill him. Best interpromotional stuff that doesn't involve WAR, probably.

Anyway, this just showed up in my Youtube feed out of nowhere...

EDIT: After watching that, my only comment is the old adage from DEAN: "Japan is a foreign country."

29 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is Liger/Tanaka vs Kanemaru/Kikuchi from the NJPW Crossroads show up anywhere on the internet?

Yeah, Ditch.

Liger/Kikuchi and Hashimoto/Misawa are the 2 interpromotional matches we never got to see during their interpromotional wars.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Edwin said:

Another good interpromotional Noah Jr.'s goodie.

Finally got around to watching this and goddamn have I wanted to see it for a long time. After the watch I remembered why: this review by Schneider from DVDVR 140 

PS: The second match (2/7/02) was more about the non-wrestling parts of the feud then the ring work, but the non-wrestling parts were fucking awesome.  Tanaka is such a spectacular Gino Hernandez pretty boy cocky fuck, that any other role he ever played (including his stupid ass AAA undercard Heat gimmick) is an utter waste.  He spends the whole match preening and posing, and making you hate his guts.  My favorite Tanaka moments were him fouling Kanemaru and then taunting him by miming testicular pain, and him making the "come here" motion with his middle finger during the post match pull apart.  Liger is amazing here too- as post match he goes fucking crazy as they have a huge pull apart in the ring.  As he is going to the back, he takes a swing at a female NOAH fan and curses and flips off the crowd. Then he and Tanaka jump Kanemaru back stage, and he destroys the NOAH press conference set. The match was really great too, but was really secondary to all of the spectacular heel heat generated by the NJ two.

The match is all that plus Kikuchi getting kicked right in the back of the head, thus that screencap haha

Not a classic by any chance, but a really fun Akiyama and Saito performance.

Another Akiyama and Saito title match, but watch this for Shiga's great performance.