DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Really? (Not a knock). This match is awesome. Rented the fuck out of this tale as a kid from my local store. Like, I had permanent checkout with it.

p Likely the Steiners best WWF match. Scott kills Owen with that Screwdriver. (That wasn't a pun, keep it nice). 

I cant believe it's never been put out, other than the Wrestlefest '94 CHV tape. 

7 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

And as of the Steiners vs Harts match wasn't awesome enough bell to bell, you have Gorilla Monsoon on commentary busting Pat Patterson's balls during the post match pull apart.

There was some match from that era, I'm thinking Rumble '92, where he's like, "Is that Pat Paterson!? Holy cow, is he fat!"

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

There was some match from that era, I'm thinking Rumble '92, where he's like, "Is that Pat Paterson!? Holy cow, is he fat!"

It actually is the Steiners/Harts match where he's dropping those lines.

"He really let himself go!"

Though it's been ages since I watched Rumble 92 so I don't necessarily remember, but wouldn't be surprised if that was a recurring gag.

Phil reviewed this in Segunda so I gave it a go. I've never seen a Motegi match or anything from Wrestle Factory (who was behind that fed? Goto?). Phil said Goto wrestled like Tenryu but I think Miyake was even more like him, he really went after Motegi's cut like a shark. And god does Motegi have the worst hair, it's like he brought a photo of Chono to the Japanese Supercuts and said "something like that". I have a mohawk and I still think that's a bad look. If you're a fan of WAR main events or early Big Japan give this a watch. 

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

Whoa!  Look what showed up on the internet today.

I've seen this before but I think it has better VQ than the version I saw. Either way that is A LOT OF FUCKING BLOOD. Full ten on the Muta Scale. When you see Park's shown up in his white costume you know what's gonna go down. Dunno what the best part was: Park thrashing Santo with the beer bucket or the screencap above where you can watch the blood run right out of Santo's mask and down his face. It seemed like Park was having a hard time getting the juice flowing but Santo said "okay, fuck it, I'll do it" and all of the sudden Park's chest is completely red. Still one of the worst of all time finishes though and that's saying something

• Like 1

I forgot about Metal and Jakked, dunno why. Those were some great "It's 2am, what's on? Look, it's wrestling!" shows back as a teen. 

I mean, later there was the Confidential/Velocity double-shot my senior year. But, that was more of us remembering it was on and having something to watch after some burns in my friends Corolla. 

Those syndicate shows were strange right before the terrestrial to digital switch, random times and all. The local station here in South Jersey would air a random indie every night during the week. CZW, Wildside, etc. It was awesome, and also made me lose so much sleep senior year in '04, because they'd air shows at midnight. Worth it though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

[Hogan vs Abdullah the Butcher in Japan]

found this gem. All the talk of Hogan in New Japan got me snooping around. 

I haven't watched this one. But not long ago, I watched a couple of 70's All Japan matches of Abby vs Billy Robinson. The first match, I hated Abdullah. Just dull and one note, and I was reminded how I never understood his appeal. But in the second match, he was fantastic. He and Billy played off each other beautifully. It was funny and ugly and dangerous and worked perfectly. 

He'll likely never be a favorite. But I got it for once. 

• Like 1

Bronko Lubich (and he is Hungarian, Mr. Laconic Flippant Russ Davis Announcer-Man) always had thee great hair and 'stache combo. I love that coiffed 'do that gets all mussed when the heel starts getting the worst of it. Great jacket on Jack Allen as well. 'Rassling was was made for TV, but I would argue that a major step into the Modern Era was the adoption of color TV and the need for workers to get colorful themselves to stand out, by being more vibrant in personality and peacocked in ringwear. Anyway, Bronko with thee proto-Accolade, such a classic match, basic even, but that is certainly not a put-down. This is what rookies on the indies should be able to do, get over a simple match like this just with heel/face dynamics.

- RAF

• Like 1