DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

I love how sometimes YouTube's suggested videos that come up while you're watching something bring up semi-related videos for you to see next. What started as one video about the Brooklyn Brawler led me to a few bizarre tag teams....

This must have been super early in this character's history, he's announced as "The Brooklyn Brawler...Steve Lombardi" and doesn't have his trademark ripped shirt and blue jeans. Also it's against jobber favorite Reno Riggins:

Which led to one of him teaming up with Bad News Brown before their slight feud against the team of The Blue Blazer and Hillbilly Jim:

Which led to seeing High Energy teaming up back in 1988!:

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 10:30 AM, Technico Support said:

I found myself thinking of this today and, of course, there it is on Youtube.  Secrets of Pro Wrestling, an 80s classic I remember renting on VHS as a kid.

I'm a VHS collector, and this is actually one of the most expensive tapes I've ever purchased. I'm really puzzled at the fact there isn't more about this tape online, specifically as far as who the masked wrestlers were. At the end there was a teaser for a second tape which as far as I know was never released.

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I love how sometimes YouTube's suggested videos that come up while you're watching something bring up semi-related videos for you to see next. What started as one video about the Brooklyn Brawler led me to a few bizarre tag teams....

Talking about Brooklyn Brawler ... does anyone remember when he beat Triple H on SmackDown in 2000?

That same year he had a Strap Match with Tazz on Heat:

7 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

This thread needs more Hansen and Brody

If you asked me on the spot to name the worst match of all time (non-indy version), that's what I'd pick. If I really thought about it, maybe I could come up with something else, but that match is the best example ever of just how egregiously terrible Brody and Mascaras could be. There are points in it where you can tell Hansen just wants to give up because he can't believe the no-selling, narrative-crushing pieces of shit he's in there with, one of which being his regular partner. Nothing brings out the worst in an already selfish wrestler like tagging in All Japan in the mid 80s.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

If you asked me on the spot to name the worst match of all time (non-indy version), that's what I'd pick. If I really thought about it, maybe I could come up with something else, but that match is the best example ever of just how egregiously terrible Brody and Mascaras could be. There are points in it where you can tell Hansen just wants to give up because he can't believe the no-selling, narrative-crushing pieces of shit he's in there with, one of which being his regular partner. Nothing brings out the worst in an already selfish wrestler like tagging in All Japan in the mid 80s.

Yeah, honestly I've seen much better Brody/Hansen matches, and I've never really been impressed by Mascaras. Guess I was just drowsy and looking for something a bit quick, but not like a TV match.

Just now, Thomas Bugg said:

Yeah, honestly I've seen much better Brody/Hansen matches, and I've never really been impressed by Mascaras. Guess I was just drowsy and looking for something a bit quick, but not like a TV match.

Hey! It's ok. You just had to pick a match that I have in permanent crosshairs. 

I just went to go post Terry and Dory vs Martel and Zenk which is one of my favorite AJPW tags from the 80s and the thing doesn't seem to be online.

• Like 1

So I've been watching a bunch of the Jumping Bomb Angels in 87/88 WWF.  I just have to ask though, how prevalent was the powerbomb in the late 80's?  I've seen people like Terry Gordy doing it in '82 in Georgia, but to see Judy Martin busting it out in '88 is still mind-blowing.