DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

If you’ll check Gary Cappetta’s FB, you’ll see where he shared a Ric Flair vs Barry Windham highlights video. In it Ric Flair did the HBK flip into a headstand on accident thing. I kid you not. He held it about a second less than HBK but he dang sure did it. 

This was a weird one. I'm not going to file it under "Why Did I Watch This?", because it ain't hard to tell why I watched this.

Mabel vs. Koji Kitao - 12/1/1996, INOKI FESTIVAL IN YOYOGI
https://archive.org/details/inoki-festival-1996-1996.12.01/Inoki+Festival+96+-+1996.12.01-2.iso
(Timestamp = 8:30)

On 1/16/2023 at 10:23 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

This was a weird one. I'm not going to file it under "Why Did I Watch This?", because it ain't hard to tell why I watched this.

Mabel vs. Koji Kitao - 12/1/1996, INOKI FESTIVAL IN YOYOGI
https://archive.org/details/inoki-festival-1996-1996.12.01/Inoki+Festival+96+-+1996.12.01-2.iso
(Timestamp = 8:30)

Oh man, always wanted to see it. DEAN called it one of the worst matches ever in DVDVR #100, alongside such legends as Baba vs. Raja Lion and Sid vs. the Nightstalker. 

KOJI KITOA vs MABEL- SAMURAI DEBUT SHOW 1997:  If you really want to laugh so hard that you stuff flies out of your nose- try watching THIS match. It's like watching a blind ground sloth try to mate with a Buick Regal. Amazingly hideous- like a big festering sore on your leg that you can't stop pic... I'll stop now.  (RASMUSSEN)

EDIT: Uh oh, just checked the date. I'm sure they're just as bad as each other. I mean it is fucking Kitoa in there.

EDIT II: It's actually at 2 hours in. The audio mutates into a mess that sounds like bubbling water. 

Wait now I hit something wrong and the match vanished entirely. WTF

Edited by Curt McGirt

My favorite hour of 1970s territory TV that I have watched in a very long time. 45 minutes from Montreal that flies by, with a promo production style that I would love to see someone tweak for a modern audience, and maybe the best segue by the commentary team from a hot angle into a plug for a local charity event ever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT II: It's actually at 2 hours in. The audio mutates into a mess that sounds like bubbling water. 

Wait now I hit something wrong and the match vanished entirely. WTF

What the heck, happened to me too. The audio turned into goo and makes me feel uncomfortable

OK, if anybody ACTUALLY wants to watch Kitao vs. Mabel, do this instead. Go to https://archive.org/details/inoki-festival-1996-1996.12.01 , select the third video on the list (the one that's 1:25:13 long), and then skip ahead eight minutes. There is an excellent M-Pro multi-man right after it. No idea what was going on with the other link, apologies.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

My favorite hour of 1970s territory TV that I have watched in a very long time. 45 minutes from Montreal that flies by, with a promo production style that I would love to see someone tweak for a modern audience, and maybe the best segue by the commentary team from a hot angle into a plug for a local charity event ever. 

You have no idea how long I've been trying to find some of their TV just for the completely bad-ass opening theme... like something from a 70s Quebecois cop show. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

What the heck, happened to me too. The audio turned into goo and makes me feel uncomfortable

OK, if anybody ACTUALLY wants to watch Kitao vs. Mabel, do this instead. Go to https://archive.org/details/inoki-festival-1996-1996.12.01 , select the third video on the list (the one that's 1:25:13 long), and then skip ahead eight minutes. There is an excellent M-Pro multi-man right after it. No idea what was going on with the other link, apologies.

There are apparently a lot of awesome looking matches on there (the boxing glove matches might even be extremely weird and fun) but the ones that stood out were clearly the M-Pro and BattlARTS tags. I'm gonna dig through this stuff for sure. I'm not really sure how many of these matches are well-known? Did the Inoki Fest stuff ever get widely traded? 

EDIT: So that was... okay, actually. As short as expected. Koji doesn't sell, seems winded after a little dance towards the end, fucks up a cross armbreaker (seriously? The crowd laughs mercilessly). Big Vis actually sells, takes a bunch of kicks, and actually gets two big pops for busting out a wheel kick in the corner and a serious enzuigiri. He also fucks up a dropkick so they're 1 for 1 in that respect. I'm not gonna go watch a bunch of Mabel matches but this was alright. It also has dude almost totally wiping out and FALLING ON A PERSON IN THE FRONT ROW which could have easily broken their legs or feet. That was a bit of a shock. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Aw man, board destroyed my review. Anyway, go watch Ikeda/Ono vs. Otsuka/Yone at around 45 minutes into that. Absolute Hell on Earth. There is a lariat and a Larry Zybysco spin kick (can't remember the Japanese name) that should have decapitated someone. I think the crowd was in awe.