DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Ernie Ladd may be the king of the inappropriate promo.

Had to be a rib considering Gordon was probably wearing sunglasses to cover up his hangover. And without doubt Idol, Raschke and Ernie had partaken in some of the kind bud the night before haha

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Had to be a rib considering Gordon was probably wearing sunglasses to cover up his hangover. And without doubt Idol, Raschke and Ernie had partaken in some of the kind bud the night before haha

Exactly!  Ladd probably drank a scotch and soda and smoked a Cuban before that match, which makes his proclamation of being straight edge all the more hilarious.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, J.T. said:

Exactly!  Ladd probably drank a scotch and soda and smoked a Cuban before that match, which makes his proclamation of being straight edge all the more hilarious.

I’m kind of thinking that Gordon always had various airplane bottles of booze in his sports jacket and tossed Ladd a few during a commercial. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 12:26 AM, odessasteps said:

In case this hasn’t been posted before 

"BOOOORRR-RIIINNNGGG"

Just kidding, I find the "booring" jeer as annoying and insulting as most folks do, and it exposes the caller a a big ass mark, as does the "FIGHT FOREVER" chant in my opinion.

• Like 2

A small but important part of why the cruiserweight division was such a hit was because everybody who showed up to wrestle a match was referred to as having showed up from somewhere else in the world, like another country kind of somewhere else, and that they did so to compete for this title. Then if they failed to compete seriously for it for a week or so they never came back. When every show started being the same cruiserweights, even though the action was still good, the mystique was lost because they were just wrestlers in WCW whether they were competing for the title or not, losing to heavyweight midcarders on Worldwide. 

• Like 5

One of my friends was watching the TNT show from last week and said while people were comparing it to the Fingerpoke of Doom, it reminded him of the night Konnan beat Jericho on Nitro while resulted in the famous CRZ rant about Nash and Carlos. 

Spoiler

FUCK YOU, KEVIN NASH. It only took you TWO Nitros to prove to me that it doesn't matter who's in charge, the product is STILL going to suffer. It's going to matter more who you're friends with then how entertaining/athletic/good you can be. Saying "bowdyboutit" and "wolfpack in the house" doesn't count for SHIT and it DAMN sure doesn't deserve holding the gold. And this song FUCKING sucks and there is NO good reason for it to be shoved down our collective throats like we're Monica Lewinsky looking for some Presidential action. And who plays a song without revealing the title anyway? "Konnan's Music Video." Hey Konnan, you're as white as I am, you fucking prick. You don't deserve that belt. Your music video sucks. Your "rap" sucks. Your "rep" sucks. You are neither bowdy-'boutit nor rowdy-rowdy. I hope your vocal cords get cut so I never have to hear you speak on dis EVER again. If you ever meet any REAL vatos locos, you'll be in deep shit, I guarantee it. Oh, wait, it's over? Maybe I can get on with my life. AND MAYBE NOT."

Edited by odessasteps

I was watching the big Budokan BattlArts show from 1998 w/ Sasuke vs. Backlund and the Road Warriors n all that, when they showed clips of this amazing looking Yuki Ishikawa vs. Mitsuhiro Matsunaga match from 10/5/98. I turned off the video and went scouring for the match and couldn't track it down until today, but I knew it existed per some old FLIK review. NOTE: This is not the Bed of Nails match, which I forgot I'd already seen.

https://archive.org/details/battl-arts-10-05-10-23-1998-b-cup-98

Ishikawa vs. Matsunaga starts at 1:11:24 and I can say having only seen a clipped version that it fucking rules and that this is what I'm gonna watch as soon as I get home from work. Longer-form opinions to follow! Also Backlund/Ikeda looks good.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2