DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Chavo Guerrero vs Kengo Kimura

This was super-fun.  They keep it mostly on the mat early and Chavo has all these cool ways of working holds where he'll hook his leg around the body, or torque his body to increase the pressure.  The highlight might be him doing a bow and arrow/surfboard combo where he's just driving his heels into Kimura's shoulders while yanking back on his arms.  He's also really great at breaking holds by just slamming Kimura with straight and ax kicks.  It's let down a little by the finish but the journey there is worth it.

It also has a great wraparound intro/outro from Paul Boesch explaining to Houston TV viewers that they're going to see Japanese wrestling with Japanese commentary, and how the trappings of the match may change, the wrestling and the intensity of the fans are universal.  Good shit.

E: I actually forgot about my favorite spot on the match: Chavo flips out of a Kimura headscissors but instead of it being a reset Kimura immediately follows him and grabs an ankle pick from behind.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

Hey!  It's the Skyscrapers match where the squash ended in the ultra rare referee stoppage!

Your old man memory was not at fault.  This actually happened.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Well Oiled Machines vs. The SSB (SMASH Wrestling Super Showdown VI)

Really fun twist on a TLC match. Instead of the chairs part, they changed it to a tables, ladders and boxes match. What's in the boxes? Could be anything. There's some wackiness, some downright crazy bumps and just general fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this match. 

Edited by onelegbrynn
  • Like 2

This is so Texas wrestling it hurts, right down to the Simpson Brother and Bill FREAKIN Mercer on commentary!
The Main Event might the best Al Perez match I remember watching. I base that on the fact it didn't put me to sleep (also, Matt Bourne is always good)

This isn't the Crockett run Texas fed was it?

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

No, it was Gary hart. 

I should've caught on to that just due to the fact Al Perez was on it and Gary hart does an ad for a local chiropractor
More Weird Texas indies with a plethora territory talent including a post-Continental Wendell Cooley and a super young Brian Lee!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

Best thing I watched over a pretty big 24-ourYouTube binge. Paul Orndorff vs. Ronnie Garvin, Smoky Mountain Wrestling Aug. 1992. Timestamped n all that.

One of my favorite cliche wrestling terms is "this could be a main event anywhere in the world!". It's usually nonsense, but when you've got two seasoned craftsmen doing super-classical face/heel stuff it rings a little more true. Orndorff and Garvin go at it in front of a few rabid hundreds in Benton, TN and everything just clicks. There's a battle over the (banned) piledriver, Mr. Wonderful pisses off all the rat-tailed children, and they get a full ten minutes to do their thing. This same crowd got a great Dirty White Boy vs. Dixie Dy-no-mite title match during this taping and you can tell that every expectation is being exceeded, just a ton of happy screaming kids in every shot.

I always liked Ron Garvin. First time I ever heard of him it was oldheads online talking about what a low-rent champion he was, but the first time I rented an old NWA tape he was one of my faves. Still is.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Best thing I watched over a pretty big 24-ourYouTube binge. Paul Orndorff vs. Ronnie Garvin, Smoky Mountain Wrestling Aug. 1992. Timestamped n all that.

One of my favorite cliche wrestling terms is "this could be a main event anywhere in the world!". It's usually nonsense, but when you've got two seasoned craftsmen doing super-classical face/heel stuff it rings a little more true. Orndorff and Garvin go at it in front of a few rabid hundreds in Benton, TN and everything just clicks. There's a battle over the (banned) piledriver, Mr. Wonderful pisses off all the rat-tailed children, and they get a full ten minutes to do their thing. This same crowd got a great Dirty White Boy vs. Dixie Dy-no-mite title match during this taping and you can tell that every expectation is being exceeded, just a ton of happy screaming kids in every shot.

I always liked Ron Garvin. First time I ever heard of him it was oldheads online talking about what a low-rent champion he was, but the first time I rented an old NWA tape he was one of my faves. Still is.

It's thee Battle of thee K&H Spat Boots! So good. Great camerawork, and these two geniuses knew just how and when to set up for the hard cam. Good ref work by BH, and the "Mr. 1#derful" trunks are a fave of mine.

There's a fun topic - Favorite Ring (not entrance) Gear.

• Like 1

Insomnia has got me looking things up on the internet!  I found this interesting.  Johnnie Valentine's first wrestling match was against Baby Blimp in 1949.  Baby Blimp would go on to become George Two Ton Harris.  One of most vivid childhood wrestling memories was watching Valentine and Harris have a 15 minute studio match in Mid-Atlantic in what was prolly 1974.  Cagematch says they only wrestled three times between 1949 and 1971,  but I don't know how complete their 50s, 60s and 70s match listings are.  I assume they wrestled a few times because both were all over Mid-Atlantic TV when I was a child.  DEAN go night night now.

Name of the event:
CWF
Date:
Type:

:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: at least one worker in the match does not have a profile. ::::
Singles Match
Paddy Mack defeats Jose Santos
:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: at least one worker in the match does not have a profile. ::::
Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match
Danny Dusek defeats Bobby Roberts [2:1]

EDIT:  Oh man, Two Ton Harris wrestled a nine year old Tatsumi Fujinami in 1976 in Mid-Atlantic.  I can imagine how great the main event was.  I can picture in my mind Terry Funk flailing around after taking a Rufus R Freight Train Jones headbutt.  Okay, night night.

Okay, I'm going to bed.  BUT NOTE!  In Denmark, they were having three way dances.... in 1903!  I don't think wrestling was fixed yet in 1903.

Name of the event:
Wrestling In Kopenhagen
Date:
Type:

Three Way Match
Georg Burghardt defeats Camillus Ewertsen and LP Jensen
Three Way Match
Albert Sturm defeats Camillus Ewertsen and Christian Andersen
Singles Match
Georg Oettinger defeats Camillus Ewertsen
Singles Match
Ali Nurullah Hasan defeats Georg Oettinger

RIP Masashi Aoyagi, a man worth grieving and a legacy worth remembering. Here's a totally random one if you're looking for something of his to watch but already know the classics - Aoyagi vs. Bob Backlund, 5/8/1994 WWF House Show in Nagoya. Handheld, of course, timestamped @ 1:15:30.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1