DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

全日本プロレス AJPW 1997年 11月16日 世界最強タッグ決定リーグ戦 RWTL Tamon Honda & Takao Omori vs Jinsei shinzaki & Hayabusa

AJPW 全日本プロレス 1999年 7月23日 サマーアクションシリーズ バーニング Vader & Gary Albright vs Kenta Kobashi & Jun Akiyama

AJPW 全日本プロレス 1998年 12月2日 世界最強タッグ決定リーグ戦 RWTL Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa vs head hunters RWTL

• Like 3

Youtube threw this at me this evening, DDT's Kazusada Higuchi vs GLEAT's Takanori Ito from 2016, in a think Ito's 4th or 5th match. Higuchi lays the chops in, Ito tries to respond but he is yet to become the kick ass shootstyle guy, though there are some hints.

Mostly I'm weirded out by how crappy his look is, he looks like he should be tagging with GENTARO against the Brahman Bros in the opener of a Freedoms show with those shorts & that shirt 

• Like 2

Armstrong Alley posted this episode of Intl Pro Wrestling from 1990 in Arkansas. As a matter of fact it's touted as "Arkansas' Own". Guessing it's from somewhere that was once a Mid-South town. Alley has also posted some episodes of Chicago Championship Wrestling from '87. I caught a few episodes of that promotion on Sportsvision Chicago in that era.

• Like 1

Abdullah The Butcher & Giant Kimala 2 vs. Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori 

The channel owner has Mimikyu the Pokemon holding a fork. Lol.

Edited by Blue Dragon

On 6/4/2022 at 1:53 PM, odessasteps said:

Kris P just uploaded the first (of 8 or 9) episodes of Austin Idol's 1993 Alabama promotion. 

These shows were very educational. For example, I learned that Joey Maggs (excuse me..."Magnificent Magliano") defeated Negro Casas at the Cow Palace and Akira Nogami at "The Budokan" in the qualifying rounds if the U.S. Junior Heavyweight Championship Tournament - source: "Magnificent Magliano"

These ended up being some damn fun background noise viewing. Junkyard Dog and Iron Sheik seem shockingly motivated, almost as if they were treated this as a potential gateway to that "one last big run" that every wrestler thinks they have, even if their bodies aren't cooperating anymore (especially so in the case of the Iron Sheik).

And if you like jobbers getting destroyed, there are some incredible beatings administered by Steve Doll and Rex King (the future Well Dunn), which makes the casting of aspersions by babyfaces in promos about the two of them being "a little funny" even more dissonant on top of simply "being from another time". It's wild watching Steve Armstrong and Wendell Cooley talk about Doll and King being partners "outside the ring" as an insult after Doll and King just committed attempted manslaughter on their opponents. 

Also, did you know that Austin Idol was in a horrific car accident in 1991? If not, you sure will after it gets referenced five times per episode in some television formatting that would make Dusty Rhodes say "dial it down a little bit, Austin". 

And you have ring announcing duties being handled by Mike Jackson!

Come for the above selling points, keep returning for every time the Iron Sheik shouts "camera man, ZOOM!" at the ringside camera man directly in front of him but the director maintains the hard-cam wideshot instead.

An entertaining run of studio wrestling television despite the bummer of knowing in hindsight that the big "Battle at Boutwell" supercard that all of this was building to was canceled due to a freak once-per-century snow storm that dumped 13 inches of snow on Alabama that weekend, and the promotion aired one last TV and went out of business from there ☹ 

• Like 1

Johnny Valentine and Da Crusher put on a masterclass in not actually really doing anything to each other while driving a sold out arena into a maniacal frenzy. Love those old Chicago crowds.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 12:25 PM, driver said:

Armstrong Alley posted this episode of Intl Pro Wrestling from 1990 in Arkansas. As a matter of fact it's touted as "Arkansas' Own". Guessing it's from somewhere that was once a Mid-South town. Alley has also posted some episodes of Chicago Championship Wrestling from '87. I caught a few episodes of that promotion on Sportsvision Chicago in that era.

I’ve never even heard of this Arkansas stuff but I love some dirty ol’ southern-style ‘rasslin!

I was watching an episode of Texas All Star from right after they started up. They were taking solicitations for a logo for them to use “on our letterhead and advertising.”

The prize? A three day trip and airfare to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

I’ve never even heard of this Arkansas stuff but I love some dirty ol’ southern-style ‘rasslin!

All thanks goes to @odessastepsfor mentioning Armstrong Alley on his podcast. AA has been putting up some really obscure stuff and it's amazing.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, onelegbrynn said:

Three words: RON'S CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

With Mutoh announcing his final  Great Muta match for January 23rd 2023 I've been going through all his WCW 89 stuff and... fuck Keiji Mutoh was so fucking amazing!
Here he is against Doug Gilbert in what might be the PERFECT Muta squash match. He gets everything in there that you want in a Muta match (and watching other stuff from this period you'd be surprised how often he doesn't use the Moonsault! Hell, his debut against Cougar Jay he won with a spin kick!)

James

• Like 2

AJPW 1997

Hayabusa/The Tornado vs Maunakea Mossman/Kentaro. April 2nd Shiga Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, Osaka.

Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama Champion Carnival. March 30th at Aichi Prefectural Gym, Nagoya.