DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Hooooly shit, guess what popped up on Youtube?

APEX OF TRIANGLE~!

The source of one of my favorite bits of @DEAN writing:

Survival Tobita/GYAOPPPI/Chichibu Foot of Mountain and Mountain vs. NANIWA/ Sasuke the Great/ Relay Shonen:
Chichibu Foot of the Mountain and Mounatin and Survival Tobita had a meeting.

SURVIVAL TOBITA: I want to thank you for meeting me here at the Satahara Oh Memorial Interstate Rest Stop so we can discuss our future.  I know that we have been at odds in the past- what with you wanting to destroy me and you sending the Lantern Ghost and his son to kill me.

CHICHIBU FOOT OF MOUNTAIN AND MOUNTAIN: Well, it was a big misunderstanding. We got some bad information up on the mountain from someone whom we THOUGHT was a reliable source that said that you wanted to stripmine the sacred mountain and sell us into slavery- but our source turned out to be Manhole Man v.2.  He was just bitter about always being thwarted by your heroic efforts to save the people of Japan.  Plus  he was going through some tough times with Convenience Store Burglar.  Seems that the Convenience Store Burglar and Gilgilgun were having a clandestine affair.  Since Convenience Store Burglar is Manhole's boyfriend and Gil is his bestfriend, you can imagine how hurt he was.  He was just lashing out.

SURVIVAL TOBITA: I see.  That's very understandable. Even without the unfortunate turn of events surrounding Manhole Man v.2's attempt to have you kill me, I haven't exactly endeared myself to the subterranean Monster Underground lately.  I just finished fighting the Driller and his boyfriend at a Kyoto storage facility and it was considered quite an affront since the Driller is a made man and all.  With all that going on,  such.... unfortunate situations... as these shall arise.  I hope that the fact that we have cleared the air will make you more willing to help me.  I am a bit desperate, I must admit.

CHICHIBU FOOT OF MOUNTAIN AND MOUNTAIN: Hey, I'm all ears.  Shoot.

SURVIVAL TOBITA: Well, Orihara- the millionaire eccentric  from Moebius Corporate Headquarters sent out a memorandum to all wrestlers in the trailer park.  He is organizing a Battle Tournament with a grand prize of a very fine Roast Beef sammich and 100% Cotton Hanes Beefy-T version of the coveted Apex Of Triangle shirt. It is a fine sammich- complete with a fine horseradish sauce and assorted exotic pickle chips.   The tournament will test the mettle of all the Independent wrestles that will have to defend the beloved soil of Japan at some point- one would think sooner or later.  I figured that you were the most trustworthy of my opponents- what with Mokujin Ken freaking out and becoming a Republican (despite the fact they openly threaten his natural habitat, he said szomething about the need for less tolerance for criminals and "undesirables".  I think he has lost his wooden mind since he finally got some at the Tokyo Arboretum.) and what with Automatic Warrior needing a new manifold and everything...

CHICHIBU FOOT OF MOUNTAIN AND MOUNTAIN: Say no more.  I'll bring my friend GYAOPPPI.  He fights like a thousand men fighting a thousand men.  He is fierce and of a singular focus- TO DESTROY!  The only possible drawback is that he just can't actually... walk erect...

SURVIVAL TOBITA: Ah, my friendly mountain friend, that may be a problem! Let me check the sacred gold-leaf JAPANESE INDEPENDENT WRESTLING TOURNAMENT GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES rule book and see what it says about the subject of walking erect... lessee... "Mysteriousness of Brackets"... "Government Tassle limits"... "Continuation of Motegi's Career Rule Rescinded"...."The Goro Tsurumi- Ryama Go Accord of 1996"... "Mummy quota"...NOPE! We're good.

CHICHIBU FOOT OF MOUNTAIN AND MOUNTAIN: We will fight like a thousand suns burning out a thousand other suns!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This was my first Otani, off a best of Tajiri comp I got on ebay.  I knew who he was from DVDVR but I was not prepared for the disrespectful shitkicking of young Tajiri.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

This was my first Otani, off a best of Tajiri comp I got on ebay.  I knew who he was from DVDVR but I was not prepared for the disrespectful shitkicking of young Tajiri.

I saw on Twitter that Tajiri's dad was in the crowd that night and that's why Ohtani was especially extra brutal that night.

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find a no-ring sleaze match in front of like 10 people. One guy was doing Shibata headbutts and they were wrestling over what looked like a toy WWE belt. Does anybody know anything about it? I know I'm not good with names, but I'm hoping this place will know.

5 hours ago, Super Ape said:

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find a no-ring sleaze match in front of like 10 people. One guy was doing Shibata headbutts and they were wrestling over what looked like a toy WWE belt. Does anybody know anything about it? I know I'm not good with names, but I'm hoping this place will know.

This is the only thing that came to my lesion-filled brain, it's that Russian backyard deathmatch joint, lots of fun, yes?

It's so weird that in a few years GAEA will have been closed for 20 years. Its peaks were incredible snd low piints were... still pretty damn good!

97 was when GAEA was starting hit its stride...

KAORU v. Akira Hokuto from 97!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, odessasteps said:

I was tempted to put this in the Machine thread, but I won’t/.

48 year old Paul Jones, looking younger than when he sported the mustache in JCP, vs Robert Fuller for the SAPW title in 1990. 

Watching a few episodes of SAPW and NAWA has given me a new appreciation for both Jones and Fuller. 
Too bad nothing ever became of that Vince Torelli kid.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Vince ending his commentary career so that he could become an evil owner probably did wonders for the reputation of Lawler as a commentator? (even if Lawler had no shortage of 'quirks' in the late 90s with JR, it was with a better product and JR/Lawler was probably a way better pairing than Vince/Lawler)

Considering that they recorded the Raw commentary for taped shows on the day of the show (or they did the commentary live!-ish)... there's probably a bit of a "we're not bringing either of these wrestlers back" all over the commentary of that match.

Reading the Observer from that week - they redubbed the commentary after they realised Madusa had shown up on Nitro and thrown the title in the bin. 

28 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Reading the Observer from that week - they redubbed the commentary after they realised Madusa had shown up on Nitro and thrown the title in the bin. 

except that Kong/Asari aired on December 11th, 1995 and Madusa debuted on Nitro on December 18th. So maybe they redubbed the commentary after firing Madusa but the match aired before she debuted on Nitro

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, driver said:

Watching a few episodes of SAPW and NAWA has given me a new appreciation for both Jones and Fuller. 
Too bad nothing ever became of that Vince Torelli kid.

I got a lot of those episodes sitting on a list in my youtube account.  I should watch those.  I remember going to see NAWA at the Arthur Ashe center in Richmond WWAAAAAY back in the day.  I remember the Nasty Boys being there like WEEKS before they showed up in the AWA and on to stardom.  I remember they spat on a fan.  It was awesome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

I got a lot of those episodes sitting on a list in my youtube account.  I should watch those.  I remember going to see NAWA at the Arthur Ashe center in Richmond WWAAAAAY back in the day.  I remember the Nasty Boys being there like WEEKS before they showed up in the AWA and on to stardom.  I remember they spat on a fan.  It was awesome.

It's thee little things that count. Seriously tho', I believe (and have observed) that when you get folks talking about memorable rassling they have seen, it is often an angle or post-match brawl or crowd reaction or pre-match promo - or evening out with the lads/grandma/kids - that people wax enthusiastic about. I have seen much great cards 'n' matches 'n' moves, but it is the actions, events and experiences that I recall most readily. Knobbs' spit > some double top rope kanadian spinning thunder blue fire fuzion banger move...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 1:07 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

It's thee little things that count. Seriously tho', I believe (and have observed) that when you get folks talking about memorable rassling they have seen, it is often an angle or post-match brawl or crowd reaction or pre-match promo - or evening out with the lads/grandma/kids - that people wax enthusiastic about. I have seen much great cards 'n' matches 'n' moves, but it is the actions, events and experiences that I recall most readily. Knobbs' spit > some double top rope kanadian spinning thunder blue fire fuzion banger move...

It's been 30 years now and my dad still talks about Skinner doing the "swallowing his chaw" spot in a house show match.  That, to him, is wrestling.