DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

On 12/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, Curt McGirt said:

For some reason I've never seen this (and I'm sure the good Reverend and others will yell WHY NOT?!). But it is a treat. Young Andre, 28 (!!!) year old Dusty, a Cobo Arena version of the '78 RWTL final, so much goodness. Give it a watch. 

Haven't seen this in years, but your post reminds me: the original VHS box of this movie has a photo of the Sheik doing the pencil thing to a bloody Harley Race. Looks to be '78-ish Harley, with the big graying sideburns. But there's no Harley versus Sheik match in the movie, to the best of my recollection. Is that match out there on tape somewhere?

P.S. If I'm totally misremembering all this, please ignore and move on. No need to stop and make fun of the old guy.?

• 2 weeks later...

That Tank is the same Tank who works ICW NHB nowadays, isn't it? He's in his 50s and still brawling and bleeding. It's pretty awesome.

One and the same. 

When I was kid, there were any number of pro wrestlers that I found scary. Less so as an adult, of course, but Tank is still a scary dude. Which is funny, since he seems pretty beloved by the folks who've been around him for years.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, J.T. said:

Remember when the WWE was the WWF and it didn't suck and gave matches like this away for free?

Me too.

imagining the person agenting Aja/Asari being unaware of Japanese women's wrestling who just told them to do their kind of match for 4 minutes and then watching in horror as Aja murders Asari in front of a bunch of people in Salisbury, Maryland

This match was on the same taping as Madusa's last WWF match, so it's probably a bit of a myth to say that Vince killed the WWF women's division because of this match because he probably killed it before it aired and they didn't have enough spare content to not air this match.

• Like 2

DWas Jerry Lawler's commentary in the WWF always that bad? Because bloody hell that was pathetic. Just awful. What an insufferable twat.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, AxB said:

DWas Jerry Lawler's commentary in the WWF always that bad? Because bloody hell that was pathetic. Just awful. What an insufferable twat.

You know its bad when Vince is giving these WTF King reactions at times.

Vince ending his commentary career so that he could become an evil owner probably did wonders for the reputation of Lawler as a commentator? (even if Lawler had no shortage of 'quirks' in the late 90s with JR, it was with a better product and JR/Lawler was probably a way better pairing than Vince/Lawler)

Considering that they recorded the Raw commentary for taped shows on the day of the show (or they did the commentary live!-ish)... there's probably a bit of a "we're not bringing either of these wrestlers back" all over the commentary of that match.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Lawler always came across as an eejit to me when I was a kid. Shut up you twat. The Owen Shamrock Dungeon match is a particularly grating example looking back, should have had JR calling that on his own or with Vince. 

Then I discovered Memphis plus the concept of headset nazi Vince and felt glad I could see Lawler in his prime on the mic.

On a side note I wish we'd got Lance Russell calling Raw for a bit. 

Seventy years ago today, January 25, 1952, Lou Thesz defended the NWA World Title against Verne Gagne, at the International Amphitheater in Chicago. The 2/3 falls match went to a 60 minute draw with each man taking one fall apiece. Attendance 10,974. Thanks to Russ Davis and the Chicago Film Archives for preserving this match.

• Like 1