DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

This is in Puerto Rico but Taka and Reckless basically work a 5 minute WWE TV match.  Reckless is working heel which isn't really what you want to see in this matchup.  He does crush Taka with a tope, which is the highlight of the match.  Seems like they fucked up the finish as Taka wins with a leg lariat that Reckless clearly kicks out of.  These two probably had a much better match in them in different circumstances.

• Like 1

Match list

• Tommy Seigler vs Beautiful Bruce Swayze
  • Afa and Sika vs The Mighty Yankee and Troy Graham
  • Dale Mann vs Mario Leone
  • Cowboy Ray Parker and The Spoiler (Frank Morrell) vs Luis Martinez and Lorenzo Parente

Amazing how much young Afa and Sika look like their various relatives. I believe they were closer to Mild Samoans while clean shaven.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:11 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Match list

• Tommy Seigler vs Beautiful Bruce Swayze
  • Afa and Sika vs The Mighty Yankee and Troy Graham
  • Dale Mann vs Mario Leone
  • Cowboy Ray Parker and The Spoiler (Frank Morrell) vs Luis Martinez and Lorenzo Parente

Amazing how much young Afa and Sika look like their various relatives. I believe they were closer to Mild Samoans while clean shaven.

It's weird seeing a clean shaven Afa & Sika, also nice touch announcing them from American Samoa to make sure everyone knew they were faces.

This talk of Razor in the main thread led me to this. I forgot all about heel Waltman and face Razor. 

EDIT: I also forgot Razor had the coolest music ever. There's a funny part in this where he gets baby powdered by Dibiase while Tim White is looking right at it and does nothing. I bet Waltman did not enjoy the finish, for more than one reason.

Edited by Curt McGirt

This episode of world wide has:

Berry Orton as enhancement talent

brickhouse brown vs Ernie Ladd 

stan Hansen v Barry Horowitz (as Brett Hart)

gary hart comparing wahoo/Youngblood winning the tag belts to wounded knee

jyd bringing out the wheelbarrow for Paul,Jones 

• Like 1

Most of my extracurricular wrestling viewing post-COVID has been the bountiful amount of territorial stuff on YouTube. 

This is apparently a pretty well-known Canadian commercial tape known as "Butchermania", all stuff from the '86/87 dying days of Quebec's International Wrestling. I love a good commercial tape. This one's thematically tight and features a lot of Abby being Abby, a pair of Steve Strong/DiSalvo/Minotaur promos that aged like racist (RACIST) milk, five seconds of a baby excursion-era Toshiaki Kawada, but the stuff that really grabbed me are the pair of Dino Bravo vs. Samu singles matches. Well done fuck-finishes with some ahead-of-their-time spots and they both work their asses off.

• Like 1

And while I'm watching Canadian stuff here's fucking Toshiaki Kawada vs. Chris Benoit (JIP) from Stampede, 1986. 

Listen to commentary bury Kawada for the first minute-and-a-half before he promptly forces them to shut the fuck up. Check out Benoit teaching Kawada the Ganso Bomb at 3:25. This match is what it is, and it is nice.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

New Year's Eve 2019: John Silver vs Kris Statlander

nb: This is a rematch from Kris Stat's Beyond debut, in which she beat Silver.

• Like 1

XPW was a real shithole, even by wrestling standards, but they did give me (and I assume a bunch of other people) their first exposure to Revolution Pro.

A sub-10 minute sprint where everybody goes for their biggest spots, hits their stuff cleanly and, most importantly, are all absolutely ready to die.  Everyone except Excalibur takes at least one bump where you genuinely worry about their safety.  If nothing else skip to around 2:55 for Super Dragon's corner dive to nowhere.  

• Like 1