DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Not a match, but I wasn't sure where else to stick this. This channel has a playlist, broken out by year (starting in 1984), of commercials featuring wrestlers. There's a bunch of Event Center-type rundowns mixed in, but it's mostly commercials. They hit most of the famous stuff, but there's also a bunch I've never seen before. A good number from Japan as well. Turns out that Inoki will shill just about anything. The entire playlist is a fun watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A ~30 minute 2001 Survival Tobita match! Uploaded by former ZERO-ONE guy Fuyuki Takahashi, of all people.

Dove Pro 2008! Furthest back they've gone with the old match uploads on their channel. Local underdog Sakigake, against Yuko Miyamoto, for the Heavyweight Title!

• Like 1

From Japan

"The ring name remains the same, but Andre the Giant, who was in conflict with Stud at WWF at the time, also participated in the league match, avoiding photos of the two teaming up in Japan being reported in the United States. Therefore, he covered the mask and played as a mask man."

• Thanks 1

Ugh, I am consistently aggravated by that no-selling gooniebird Inoki. Any top pushed owner of the company who has given up even the pretense of selling in their matches really gets my goat - Big Daddy, Bruiser, Wanz: I am looking at y'all.Be more like Lawler, guys. We might have known what was what, but he at least made it a contest. You can make money w/o stroking your ago at the same time. At least my man KN got paid...

- RAF

• Like 1

Just now, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Ugh, I am consistently aggravated by that no-selling gooniebird Inoki. Any top pushed owner of the company who has given up even the pretense of selling in their matches really gets my goat - Big Daddy, Bruiser, Wanz: I am looking at y'all.Be more like Lawler, guys. We might have known what was what, but he at least made it a contest. You can make money w/o stroking your ago at the same time. At least my man KN got paid...

- RAF

Conversely, can you ever imagine Inoki lowering himself down the card to comedy match like Baba did? 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Conversely, can you ever imagine Inoki lowering himself down the card to comedy match like Baba did? 

True. That ain't Antonio, but I do respect Mr. Baba for stepping aside and moving himself to an appropriate spot when the time came -- better for business all around. Inoki charisma, legend and cult of personality may have benefited him, but there has been a lot of damage surrounding him along the way.

- RAF

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What what? So THIS happened?! (It's in Choshu's World Japan promotion, btw)

Shit, I just realized that MAGMA gave us the only opportunity for Vader and Tenryu in the ring together. Did that happen?

EDIT: no, but they gave us an (untelevised?) Vader & Dick Togo vs Road Warriors match.

Edited by Control
  • Sad 1

Anybody remember the debut of Val Venis (AKA Steel in Mexico)? No? Well here it is, and boy does he screw it up. Not only does he have a stiff-ass Scorpio clearly calling the match for him but he has the charisma of a brick. The whole match he just eats shots too; at one point there's a spinkick from Scorp that sounds like somebody hit a homer. 

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Hustle end days

Liger & Nagata & Koshinaka vs. Tajiri & Tenryu & Kawada

That was about being as entertaining as humanly possible. Everybody has a ton of signature moves and they bust out all of them just about, and are stiff as possible while doing it. Plus it's NJPW vs. HUSTLE in Korakuen so the crowd is losing it the whole time. If you need a mood-booster today, watch this. 

• Like 2