DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

On 1/28/2021 at 10:15 PM, Matt D said:

1993 Memphis Alert!!!

Someone's posting all of 1993 Memphis TV which is the year WWF invaded and is well worth watching if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/sceduk/videos

I’m bumping this up because this user has uploaded tons of rare footage that I’ve never seen before.  Barnett’s WCW Australia from the 70s, lots of Wrestling at the Chase episodes, Hawaiian wrestling from the late 70s to mid-80s, Buddy Rose compilations, and multiple WWC videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ima put this here - 

Tiger Jeet Singh Sr., keeping it real:

He also described one of his most infamous moments, his shopping mall brawl with Antonio Inoki that helped make him a household name.

“I was in the shopping centre, and I ran into Inoki’s wife, who was a very popular actress at the time. She looked at my shoes and admired my shoes. Then she looked at my shirt, and touched the material and said she liked that. But then she reached up and touched my turban. My turban is very sacred to me, and I don’t let anybody touch it. So, I reacted and I slapped her. Her bodyguards were around me, and then Inoki saw me, and saw his wife on the ground. He attacked me, and we fought all around. We smashed up the entire place, breaking things, and going through the windows. When the police came, I ran to get a taxi cab, but none of them would stop because I was bleeding and my clothes were all torn. I finally had to jump in front of a taxi and they had to stop, so I told my manager to get in.”

“I had to stay in my hotel room for two weeks, because the police wanted to arrest me, and the laws didn’t let them come into my room. Finally, the New Japan office cleared things up, and I went to the police station. They accepted that it was self-defense, because Inoki had attacked me, so I was allowed to go.”

real kay fabe and I wouldn't have any other way,

RAF

p.s. - this from a recent ceremony in Japan where TJSingh Sn. & Jr. were getting an award for there humanitarian & charitable works regarding the '20 tsumani. I caught this from an article about the event on a wrestling "news" site, and of course there was no citation of date or any other context or real info. Why do I continue to forget how crappy most wrestling news sites are? Not only can I cut and paste a press release, but I can also google - "New York, Feb. 25 (Jiji Press)--Japan's Consul-General in Toronto Takuya Sasayama awarded on Thursday the consul-general's commendation to Canada-based charity Tiger Jeet Singh Foundation for contributing to amity with Japan, including support to children affected by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami."

p.p.s. - I have never seen any match with any TJS that I have enjoyed, charitable works notwithstanding. Are there any to recommend?

• Like 1

Ikuto Hidaka vs Mamoru Okamoto

Carl Greco vs Takeshi Ono

Yuki Ishikawa vs Mohammed Yone

Wataru Sakata vs Katsumi Usuda (RINGS Rules)

UWA World Middleweight Champion Minoru Tanaka vs Masao Orihara

Daisuke Ikeda vs Alexander Otsuka

Man is this fun, and a card of particular sartorial splendor. Carl Greco/Malenko must have superpowers when he wrestles barefoot because he turns into Volk Han here. Orihara probably looks sleazier than he ever has with a braided mohawk and elbow bandage. He's a couple bad stick-and-pokes away from spanging for dope money outside the Subhumans show. And Alexander Otsuka has HAIR AND A BEARD!!! Incredible.

• Like 2

This one's new to me. Match is only two minutes put the post match is great, especially Khan yelling as he chops Blackwell in the throat from the second rope.

The channel itself has a lot of interesting stuff, especially stuff that Our Friend in Japan posted back in 2015 and that hasn't been online since.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

This one's new to me. Match is only two minutes put the post match is great, especially Khan yelling as he chops Blackwell in the throat from the second rope.

The channel itself has a lot of interesting stuff, especially stuff that Our Friend in Japan posted back in 2015 and that hasn't been online since.

Man, this was everything I love about pro wrestling in a tidy little package. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Someone has been posting of classic world class show. The fritz retirement show has Lola Gonzales vs Irma Gonzales and El Solitario vs Rene Guajardo on the undercard.

That Lola Gonzalez vs. Irma Gonzales match rules as well. There's a proto Malenko/Guerrero-esque rollup sequence near the finish that had me biting on 2-3 nearfalls in a row, then finishes with an impressively stiff powerbomb. It's maybe not as smooth as the work you'd see today, but this would fit right in today's scene.

It's been a good day for me watching stuff that I've never seen from companies that I'm otherwise super familiar with.

Edit: And to contribute yet something else I watched for the first time today, I stumbled across this, which is just a ton of fun.

Edited by Shane

On 3/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, Infinit said:

I'd still love for someone to explain Killer Khan's "Black KKK" gimmick to me.

It's an executioner's hood, though somebody will have to explain to me why it doesn't have eyeholes.

ed81be0b4e23f2fd6d0a2004a87ef8b8.jpg

Abdullah wore one too on occasion. 

tumblr_mt2kkvPIFd1rg89a6o1_500.jpg

EDIT: I would also like somebody to explain why a person is waving a Canadian flag in a Japanese venue during a match between a native Korean and a fake Mongolian haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's an executioner's hood, though somebody will have to explain to me why it doesn't have eyeholes.

ed81be0b4e23f2fd6d0a2004a87ef8b8.jpg

Abdullah wore one too on occasion. 

tumblr_mt2kkvPIFd1rg89a6o1_500.jpg

EDIT: I would also like somebody to explain why a person is waving a Canadian flag in a Japanese venue during a match between a native Korean and a fake Mongolian haha

I got that one, I think. Super Strong Machine was part of the "Calgary Hurricanes" faction, along with Hiro Saito and Shunji Takano. I remember hearing the announcers bringing up the Calgary Hurricanes during SSS/Khan tag matches too so I assume that's why they are waving Canadian flags.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Huh, and here I'd only heard about Hashimoto going to Calgary on excursion. Interesting. Maybe it was in the Calgary book but I forgot. 

Super Strong Machine/Junji Hirata was also Sonny Two Rivers (?) in Stampede.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I've heard about that. I guess that was a shoutout to the Native community in Calgary. When they got in big trouble for the "Bad News Allen beats up Stomper's kid" angle, they had to run the blowoff on a reservation. 

EDIT: Hell, he was even a part of the angle! 

And yes that is Mauro Ranallo. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Eagle Pro on the internet archive, I frigging love Eagle pro ever since I first got a few shows from Dean 20 or so years ago.
Have yet to watch these, as I already have some unwatched Eagle Pro shows as it is. There's a other account uploading older  puroresu to both have some Wrestle Yume Factory and other good stuff.

https://archive.org/details/eagle-pro-wrestling

• Like 1