DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

Missouri Mauler- bumpfreak?  Who knew?

Lotsa festive stuff on that CWF segment - the super funky outro music, Missouri Mauler's post-match combover disaster, Dusty's somber Bell's Palsy promos, Terry Funk's intense ones and Jerry Brisco & Abe Jacobs (shooter , trainer and inventor of the Kiwi Leg Roll) against a gurning King Curtis and youthful Frank Goodish, and of course Gordon Solie.

- RAF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Lotsa festive stuff on that CWF segment - the super funky outro music, Missouri Mauler's post-match combover disaster, Dusty's somber Bell's Palsy promos, Terry Funk's intense ones and Jerry Brisco & Abe Jacobs (shooter , trainer and inventor of the Kiwi Leg Roll) against a gurning King Curtis and youthful Frank Goodish, and of course Gordon Solie.

- RAF

Don't forget Solie's wardrobe being listed in the credits. And boy, salmon jacket with lapels reaching his shoulders! Not quite as wild as Terry's getup, but close. 

That theme song immediately made me think of Saturday Night Live.

• Like 1

"If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a shit about a Japanese guy. I don't give a shit about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see." - Vince Russo

"Hold our Sapporos, baka." - Jumping Bomb Angels

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, Cagematch was right, Rudge/Van Buyten was really good. Super hot crowd that sounded like they were gonna blow the circus tent right off. Rudge is a mangler who even looks like Finlay somewhat and certainly wrestles like him. Van Buyten is a super face that gets an enormous reaction. At one point he takes off at Rudge who's in the ropes and takes a 1000 MPH flip right over the top to nowhere, it's like one of the worst lucha bumps you've ever seen. Definite must-watch.

19 hours ago, Pete said:

"If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a shit about a Japanese guy. I don't give a shit about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see." - Vince Russo

"Hold our Sapporos, baka." - Jumping Bomb Angels

The Glamour Girls-Jumping Bomb Angel matches all still hold up and the Gorilla, Lord Al, Bockwinkle announce team was on its game that night.

• Like 1

Judy Martin & Leilani Kai vs. Penny Mitchell & Candace Pardue, 11-1-1986

Martin & Kai in their pre Glamour Girls days, this match was either on Prime Time Wrestling or one of the Coliseum Videos and it would have been the first time I saw a Power Bomb or as Lord Al calls it a Drip Dry! Also, I don't watch much modern wrestling but has anyone copied Penny Mitchell's move at 11:10?

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Judy Martin & Leilani Kai vs. Penny Mitchell & Candace Pardue, 11-1-1986

Martin & Kai in their pre Glamour Girls days, this match was either on Prime Time Wrestling or one of the Coliseum Videos and it would have been the first time I saw a Power Bomb or as Lord Al calls it a Drip Dry! Also, I don't watch much modern wrestling but has anyone copied Penny Mitchell's move at 11:10?

Because lord Alfred was doing power bombs in the 50s, the terminology is revealing.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa. 47 minutes of Mick Foley that I didn't know existed. Looks like mostly promos and you better believe that's worth watching.

I watched this a couple of months back and marveled at how Foley even brought his A-game to his shots in Ozark Mountain Wrestling, an attempt by Bert Prentice to keep Jonesboro, Arkansas going as a wrestling town after the USWA had dialed back their spot shows in the mid-90s. Some truly great stuff that not only fleshes out Foley's years between WCW and WWE, but is a genuinely compelling watch on its own.

• Like 1