DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

This came up when I tried to find Super Strong Machine vs. Maeda, which I couldn't. Ten guys seriously sprinting for a half hour. They work so fast that either I lost some eliminations or they had some kind of Captain's Rules going on. The heat is absolutely at a froth the whole time, Fujiwara throws out some wizardry, Hoshino is a fireplug, Young Boy Mutoh does the Powerdrive elbow (into the corner!) and actually lands on his feet on a moonsault attempt. This is very much worth your time. 

Also, it's #11 on the NJPW set, so there.

Not sure what possessed me but recently I started watching a lot of One Man Gang stuff.  Here's a match where he tags with Brody vs. Jumbo and Tenryu.

I was a mark for OMG when I was young.  I just remember hearing about him and then seeing him and he had a cool look and I was a big Gary Hart fan.  Then the entire match vs. Kerry Von Erich where Hart had his hair shaved and OMG was handcuffed to the post and he took the post off, but not in time for Gary's hair.

As I got older I started to think he was a 'bad worker' because he wasn't doing tope con hilo's or had the technical precision of Billy Robinson.  But the more I watch him the better I think he was.  He was the same height at Brody and weighed more.  He wasn't super agile, but agile enough and more importantly could make an impression with his size while making smaller opponents look like legitimate threats.  I think he was just kinda at the wrong place just at the wrong time...If he hit UWF, World Class or WWF a couple of years earlier he would have drawn mega money.  Instead he drew fairly decently, but bad timing kept him from being a bigger draw.

HoC

This is a blast. Chakukiri is a kickboxing gym that's spread branches all over the world. Their branches in Japan put together mixed combat sports shows. This is a pro-wrestling match from one of their shows. Takatoshi Matsumoto is a legit BJJ brown belt who fought MMA for a while in Pancrase. He only has a handful of pro-wrestling matches, but given his experience he was able to transition to pro-wrestling. Fujiwara is 70 years old in this and still rules. There isn't much strikes thrown in this as it mostly revolves around some tight and gritty grappling. For the most part the strikes that are thrown come from Fujiwara and they are vintage brutal body shots and Matsumoto trying to headbutt Fujiwara, but of course you know that's not going to be efficient. Matsumoto wrestles in his gi, but it's not of much help as Fujiwara being a former judoka knows how to use that to his advantage and in a moment catches Matsumoto in a gi choke. There's a ton of cool stuff here including Matsumoto getting frustrated and taking off his belt while in a heel hold and trying to choke Fujiwara with it, but it back fires on him shortly as Fujiwara uses his own belt to choke him in the ropes. There's also a cool transition where Fujiwara catches Matsumoto in a Fujiwara armbar and Matsumoto escapes and catches Fujiwara in a gator role and a choke.