DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

I don't remember who just name-dropped it here on this wonderful board recently, but the 'RASSLIN! streaming channel (I get it on the Rokus) is super-genius. I was feeling sickly and COVID-paranoid (update: all is "well", I am just old & broken) so I call into work and crawled back into bed after a miserable attempt to start my day. Some Sport of kings is always what the doctor ordered, so to remove any complicated choosing and button pressing, I turned on thee RASSLIN!. Whoever programs this - YouTube grabs with no copyright consideration - is in my mindset: lotsa Flair, Memphis, random '80s & '90s indies, ECW starz, Georgia & WCW TV action. I even saw the Lawler/Funk Empty Arena match, and I was buoyed, my friends, spiritually physically and in the brain department.

good for what ails ya,

RAF

p.s. - I looked, and it was that plucky lad Shane a couple pages back who reminded me I have this channel so who needs a Hulu? Thanks, man...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes of glorious 95 WCW bullshit. Heel vs heel match, with some fun interaction to start (ambush teases, etc.). Sherri out in an fancy dress. Dusty suggesting that he tried to pick up Tony at 3 am once. The Buck/Slater double punch.

• Like 1

^^^ Good match but felt too demonstrative. The 2020 match was way more hateful and hard-fought. Seemed like Dragunov did more too. I'd rather see these guys yelling at each other in foreign languages between rude slaps and lariats to the face than standing there having a Kobashi/Sasaki chop battle. 

That was one of the only times I thought an empty studio helped. Not only did it add to the audio of the violence, it also had this austerity to it, and when the attendant people made noise in reaction to the violence of the strikes, it hit home. Also the small applause at the end -- it seemed like a crowd that almost didn't WANT to applaud what they'd just seen. I'll take atmosphere over a bunch of Germans chanting anytime. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1