DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Match had its moments. The little run out onto the ramp and back in (with Kobashi literally flying in head first) was pretty sweet. If Mike could even come close to matching Kobashi's strikes it would've been far better. The moment of the screencap with Suzuki's mugging made me bust out laughing; he was remarkably subdued on the mic at the end. I guess subtlety was the order of the day then. 

• Like 1

That was much better. Suzuki was like the octo-spider drawn into his head, all over Kobashi's arm... who of course, ended up using it for lariats and suplexes anyway, but you knew he was gonna do that. The fun of it is that Suzuki gets to do his thing and Kobashi sells the whole time. It also has the best machine gun chop sequence ever that ends with Kobashi blasting him right in the ear, then he just bullrushes him into the buckles. And they wrap it up in 14 minutes! 

• Like 1

SPWF from 1994 with Motegi in the main event tag match, all the SPWF I have is from much later and almost always has Ichiro Yaguchi he isn't even on this show.

Plus here is a heavily clipped match from JWA Tokai either from the very late Seventies or very early Eighties.
Pretty sure I posted this on here back in the day, it's really early student ( aka Japanese backyard ) wrestling, but it looks really smooth.
Some where in the 90's they became a indie promotion, but all the post 2000 stuff I've seen isn't even half as good as this clip.

• Like 1

I supposedly have a student wrestling show with Tanahashi, want to say it was a big outdoor show from a group called KWA, but can't I spotted him. I know that there's a student show with some of Michinoku Pro guys working on it really would love to get my hands on that. I forgot  to mention that one of my friends told me SPWF had a bunch of student wrestlers working for them early on Exciting Yoshida being one of those guys. The story is that they got scouted after a big Student Pro Wrestling show that was released on commercial VHS, which I can verify is I own said tape and I'm pretty sure I spotted Yoshida in a match. The same show also had a match with 4 fake Tiger Masks in it.

I can't say this enough but the early JWA Tokai footage I have seen, that clip and a VHS release I own, looks much better than any of the post 2000 matches I have seen from any of the groups.

Millie McKenzie vs Kay Lee Ray, in one of those matches where they hit difficult high spots flawlessly, but basic stuff goes a bit wonky.

• Like 1

Just watched this and man, even though it’s a film transfer with no sound and it’s clipped to bits, I loved every second of this.

I’ve seen way less of Ladd than Bockwinkel, but if this match is any indication, I enjoy his work as much as his ability to talk. Here, he not only looks 9’ tall, but Bock’s big bumps and stooging makes him look like an absolute monster in the ring, too.

I don’t love watching pro wrestling with no sound, but it’s a nice exercise in paying closer attention to body language and how to sell to the back row of an arena rather than a TV camera.

For those of you with a Roku, do check out the ‘Rasslin channel. This match has transitioned into a Bock/Jeff Jarrett match from Memphis that I’ve seen, but am more than happy to watch again. Lots of random stuff will pop up, from Chicago footage from the 1950s to random Crockett to what is basically apartment wrestling. I often let it run in the background while I do other stuff. Lots of repeats, but I also still come across new to me matches like the one above, which draw me right in. 

• Like 1

I had an itch for some Blitzkrieg so I burned through a couple of Worldwide matches until I hit this one. It's a blinding five minute spotfest sprint with a ton of La Parka schtick and bumping and an enormous assisted dive by Rey-Rey. Vampiro and the clowns (ICP) come out to watch the match but thankfully don't get involved. Actually I would like to see Rey/Eddie vs. ICP, just to see their asses get handed to them by two of the best. You know the clowns could be crash test dummies at least.

• Like 2