DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Someone was asking about Jumbo vs Kawada earlier, here you go. 1991. Man it's been a while since I saw this one, this is so good. Kawada is Little Mac, he's got to stick and move, he's got to avoid Jumbo playing Bald Bull hitting that big KO charge. Also this is in that window where Misawa made Jumbo submit so the crowd is actually very alive for submission holds in All Japan.

• Like 1

Both of these are 2 out of 3 falls matches for the All Japan tag belts. Kintaro Oki & Kim Duk are a heel tag team I've never have really heard anyone say much about but they are actually a lot of fun and pretty good at all that old school heel shit, and here's a pair of matches from 1976 that play into each other pretty nicely. A lot of the story in these matches is if baby Jumbo losing his temper will cost his team or not. The first match starts off as wrestling and devolves into a fight as it goes. Jumbo goes crazy at the end and even attacks poor old Joe Higuchi. Lots of fans are throwing shit. It's great.

The second match opens with a shot of I believe pre-debut rookie Tenryu as Baba & Jumbo's second, proving that even Tenryu was young once. Oki refuses to shake hands before the match and Baba is instantly in a mood. Then as soon as Baba offers a lock up Oki tries to kick his hand away and the crowd is already pissed with him. The match format plays out pretty similarly to the first one where a lot of the actual mat wrestling gets out of the way in the first fall and then we get some chaos, but this one has a more satisfying last chapter for the fans. I really enjoyed this stuff. The finishes are what they are but it's 70's tag wrestling, what can ya do. The work is good.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

On top of it being a fun match, I'm not sure if that Kidd save of the slip on the top rope was actually on purpose or just luck, but it's still wild.

I think that might've be why Vince and Shawn were so wild over it backstage. If you're a pair of performers and manage to almost seamlessly work a botch into your match, you deserve a gold medal. 

Watched this for the novelty of seeing the Nasty Boys in All Japan and against one of the great shit-kicker teams. Surprised to see the Knobbs and Saggs (?) are about the same size as Hansen. Fans just fucking hate them and revel in seeing them get clubbered.

• Like 1

Hey it's Don Frye! And Yamazaki! 

Frye: "Ogawa, I'm gonna kick your ass. My submissions are ten times better than your submissions; you're weak and you're a fool. I'm gonna beat the shit out of ya."

You tell 'em, Don! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Courtesy of The Algorithm:

Hero vs Sugiura.

Also, apparently Indie Uploader is dead. And was run by Botchamania Maffew.

• Sad 2

Brian Christopher and Chris Candido try to outdo one another with petty heel bullshit for 10 minutes. Candido kicks it to another gear and then Memphis comes to Minnesota in 1993. 

This was wildly entertaining and exactly what I needed tonight. 

Kensuke Sasaki/Jun Akiyama vs No Fear, ALL TOGETHER 1

"All Together was a series of two professional wrestling events organized together by Japan's three biggest promotions; All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW), New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) and Pro Wrestling Noah, in response to the March 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The first event was held in Tokyo on August 27, 2011, and the second in Sendai on February 19, 2012. All proceeds from the events were donated to Japanese Red Cross."

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, Death From Above said:

Minoru Suzuki & Naomichi Marufuji vs KENTA & Tamon Honda

If you simmed this match in promoter mode in Fire Pro Returns? 90% satisfaction, minimum.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1