DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

A random WAR six-man breaks out in 1987 WWF. Can't be upset with Orton here -- if you're tagging with a jobber and want to win, don't tag in the jobber.

The Can-Ams understood that reasoning -- you want to win? Don't tag in Poffo.

(On a much more serious note, I hadn't seen this match until this week, so I didn't realize there was a pre-WM 3 start to the Beefcake face turn. I just presumed the face turn was simply Valentine, Bravo and Hart abandoning Brutus following the Dream Team match against the Rougeaus at WM 3)

1 hour ago, colonial said:

A random WAR six-man breaks out in 1987 WWF. Can't be upset with Orton here -- if you're tagging with a jobber and want to win, don't tag in the jobber.

The Can-Ams understood that reasoning -- you want to win? Don't tag in Poffo.

(On a much more serious note, I hadn't seen this match until this week, so I didn't realize there was a pre-WM 3 start to the Beefcake face turn. I just presumed the face turn was simply Valentine, Bravo and Hart abandoning Brutus following the Dream Team match against the Rougeaus at WM 3)

Always great to SD Jones get the duke! Listen to that pop the Can-Am's get and Lanny's permanent!

Seen the WAR iteration of this but not the UWFi one... and it's pretty weird. For some reason they're using pinfall rules which is definitely not UWFi. And there is just some strange stuff in it -- both guys stall, Tenryu kicks Takada right in the face and Takada responds by shoving him (?!), Tenryu punches him in the stomach and he goes "OOOOOOTTT" like he had to let out a big burp. And for some reason Tiger Hattori is reffing this? 

Also beware, there is a big jarring cut in the middle missing from the match between files. 

One of the biggest false beliefs of our workrate laden community over the years is the notion that stalling, in and of itself, is bad. It's not. But there is bad stalling.

This match has bad stalling:

I honestly thought there was a good chance this could be a career Beefcake match. Right at the end of the heel run so he was as good as he was going to get at it, with some momentum based on a TV angle so the crowd was a bit more into him than usual, against a really game Martel who's one of the best babyfaces of the 80s. Nope. Beefcake is just the least believable guy imaginable here. It was some sort of chemical formula for making everything seem cheap and flimsy. Every motion just seems corny and like someone playing a role instead of someone living it.

Edited by Matt D

The stalling from Takada in that match makes him look like a weiner. Like, just lock up, dude. It's underlined by that push he gives Tenryu, if somebody kicked me directly in the face and I was him I would do the same, but he shoves him like saying "Play fair!"? 

Meanwhile when Tenryu stalls it just comes off like he's being a dick haha. Tale of two wrestlers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another weird thing! There's a spot in the corner where it looks like both Tenryu and Tiger are trying to blade his forehead while Takada is kicking away, and they can't seem to get it right. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Unless I've missed it being posted on here, how in the world was the Toyota/Yamada vs. Jungle Jacks tag from 3/20/92 not on YouTube? It is now though. Watched it last night with buds and we were blown away. Even for AJW of that time frame, it was so fast paced and wild. Aja was in there for the final 5-10 minutes taking an ass beating from both and only got gassed up at the very end when they set up one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen. How the finish didn't lead to somebody getting paralyzed from landing directly on the top of her head, I do not know. Between watching this and the Nakano/Grizzly tag posted the other day, I had no idea Bison was so aggro. I don't remember that being a thing when I was watching the '92-'95 footage when I first got into Japanese wrestling. She's great. Yamada was wildin' out as per the usual which has its positives and negatives. She brings the passion but she can whiff or botch some of those kicks. Toyota never stops, again for better or for worse. Aja is the boss.

The finish in gif form for lookin' at after you watch the match:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I get why people don't always like Manami Toyota because she will 100% throw storytelling to the wind to do Some Crazy Athletic Bullshit, but there really may never be another wrestler that can do that on her level. I've seen her do so many 20 minute matches where she sets out at a pace that should exhaust any normal human being in, like, 6 minutes tops. And she's still doing something insane during the homestretch. Athletically she's one of the greatest freaks in the history of the business.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I get why people don't always like Manami Toyota because she will 100% throw storytelling to the wind to do Some Crazy Athletic Bullshit, but there really may never be another wrestler that can do that on her level. I've seen her do so many 20 minute matches where she sets out at a pace that should exhaust any normal human being in, like, 6 minutes tops. And she's still doing something insane during the homestretch. Athletically she's one of the greatest freaks in the history of the business.

I 100 PERCENT agree with especially if you go back and watch the LCO match I posted from January 94 about a page back. We talked about Manami really recently...my whole thing is why did no one tell her to stop doing the jump on the top rope and springboard back into the ring because she either fucks that spot up by slipping on the ropes, getting her feet tangled in the ropes, OR ended up JUMPING over and completely clearing the top rope (and when she did, doing the adorable oh shucks darn it thing with her hands which Kyoko would do when she also fucked something up) in a somewhat amazing feat of athleticism despite it being a hideous botch. It's a totally preposterous spot. Do they not have road agents in Japan? Did someone in the locker room never, ever walk up to her and say, "Bitch, don't do that spot anymore...it's fucking up our matches." I mean I posted the Bull Nakano tape here not too long ago where both Manami and Kyoko are blowing moves left and right at some AJW spot show.

Perfect example, watch the 4/25/92 title vs. title match vs. the aforementioned Kyoko Inoue. She messes it up three separate occasions. The last fuck up kills the flow of the match for a few minutes as they're about to go to the finish. It's a wonderful match, but I have no clue how you can rate that five stars with that many screwups. I love Manami too, but Dave had this weird Manami Toyota fetish going on what where she could not have a match not rated below **** at least in an era (I wanna say 90-93) where she was fucking up moves left and right. However, when she is totally on and doesn't mess up one move or it's not too noticeable, yeah I'll give that shit a billion stars.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Toyota is better than a lot of wrestlers overly reliant on spots in that she will emote and she will sell (sometimes), but yeah, she was sloppy and way too reliant on that ridiculous pace of move-move-move. I don't know if I'd consider her a top 10 AJW wrestler even though she is clearly phenomenal (in the truest sense of the word) at what she did (most of the time). Did she have a better match than the Yamada hair match from early '92? I haven't watched that in a good 15 years or so (fuck, getting old is definitely something and I don't particularly like it!), but I remember being blown away by the emotion and the moves. Why were tag partners working a hair match anyway? 

Edit: And yeah, Dave's insistence on Toyota being the best or one of the best of her generation always pissed me off because she represents so much of why Dave's takes on wrestling are not that deep and super specific to their time. He's a moves guy who will only sometimes briefly breakdown why something actually worked beyond moves. The board generally seems to loathe Alvarez, and he certainly gives y'all more than enough ammunition, so I get it... BUT, he's pretty damn great at analyzing storytelling in matches when he goes through reviews with Vinny or others not named Dave where he has to defer 90% of the time to Dave. In short, it really makes sense that Meltzer is Toyota's biggest supporter. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of Joshi Puro, anyone got ten hours free?

Actually, more than 10 hours. There's a pre-show and stuff. So even if you skip the amateur Wrestling and Shootboxing matches it's still super long.

Porkchop Cash, easily one of my fave territorial guys, and one of the best wrestling names ever (noun + noun, very strong), and look at that amazing heel ring gear. Lang & Somers deserve to be tag champs anywhere any time. Romero & Youngblood were over, and great babyface workers. Great episode, could have been plucked from 1966 - 1972 - 1978 - ...

- RAF

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
fixed covid finger misteaks but not stylish sentence fragments,,,
  • Like 1