DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Besides Iizuka's pathetic ground-and-pound this is pretty wild. Then again, I guess if I got KO'd by a kick to the face that swelled me up it would affect my punching too. 

So this is the guy that invented the Cattle Mutilation. 

Two rules of wrestling are that a match is gonna suck if it involves an animal or a Mummy. This one has both.

Southwest from 78. Watched this because it is tied to the Houston footage. Some interesting stuff:

Tully with a VERY uncomfortable/unpolished promo at the start.

Joe Blanchard as a terrible master of ceremonies in post-match interviews as Rocky Johnson comes in and just says whatever he wants to make things better and the spanish announcer is just hovering.

A good look at Buddy Roberts as Dale Valentine, squash and post-match promo. We had a bit of him in the Houston footage but this really is a better look in a lot of ways. It's so hard to see Johnny hobble around out there. But he also has more presence than anyone else, by far, and that includes Rocky Johnson.

The Johnson match is not a good indication of how good he was in this era. It goes way too long. Skip it. 

Footage from Charlotte with a very young "Richard Blood" (Tito Santana) who they call by his real name. Murdoch commentates part of it. He already had a lot going for him.

I had no idea David Von Erich had a short marriage in 78. 

Great Cowboy Bob Ellis promo too. 

They were building to a Madril (Who had just beat Nelson Royal for the Jr. Heavyweight Title) vs Race match where Madril could potentially have both titles. Just a very cool premise.

I think this is indicative of the card they were building to, as we get set ups for Johnson vs Valentine and Race vs Madril:

Boesch @ Houston, TX – Sam Houston Coliseum – July 21, 1978
Nick Kozak d. Leo Seitz
Killer Karl Krupp d. Ricky Thompson
Rocky Johnson d. Dale Valentine
David Von Erich d. Coloso Colosetti by DQ
Wahoo McDaniel d. Gino Hernandez
Bruiser Brody d. Leroy Brown
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race © d. Al Madril 

Argh, here's the card where Madril beat Royal. Why didn't that one pop up in the footage?

Boesch @ Houston, TX - Sam Houston Coliseum - June 25, 1978
Evelyn Stevens d. Marie DeLeon
Pepper LoBianco & Vicki Williams d. Kitty Adams & Suzette Ferrara
Ivan Putski & Wenona Little Heart d. Killer Brooks & Leilani Kai
Battle Royal won by Wenona Litle Heart
Leroy Brown d. Killer Karl Krupp by DQ
Dick Slater d. Gino Hernandez
Caribbean Heavyweight Title: Coloso Colosetti d. Jose Lothario ©
NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Al Madril d. Nelson Royal ©
Texas Heavyweight Title: Rocky Johnson © d. Bruiser Brody by DQ
Fence Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race © d. Wahoo McDaniel

Edited by Matt D

Let it be noted that my "like" for the Kabuki v. RRogers match above is 100% for Kabuki. Has Rip Rogers ever sold a ticket? I know he headlined but was he anything but a reliable hand in the ring? He was good enough to go to Japan but RAF has groaned audibly upon seeing his name on the program. And his Thom McAn Jox version of Exotic Adrian Street as PUMA Clyde is strictly from hunger...

- RAF, who doesn't normally like to disparage a worker

• Like 1

I'm going to start dropping some footage on my Twitch stream every Thursday and Saturday. 

Pros:

I'm going to drop some harder to find footage such as a fancam of Sammartino/Brody, some Hawaii footage, etc.

Cons:

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to see if I am any good at doing wrestling commentary.

Saturdays will be a VLOG version of a DVDVR On The Road Review as me and my friend will be doing commentary and talking over shows we have been to exclusively.

If you have a Twitch, you can follow at https://twitch.tv/ifightgiants

This was so sloppy it looked like a real fight. Tokyo Magnum’s knees at the end would agree. And I don’t know if they timed the clacking noise just right (probably that) or what but that sure looked like the worst chairshot ever on Nitro.

• Like 1