DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIAM 2017

colonial

On 5/14/2017 at 11:02 PM, (BP) said:

Powers Boothe has passed away from natural causes. He was 68.

fWx327.gif

Wait, what the fuck? I had to find out about this, days later, only on the board? 

He was awesome in "Sudden Death". I say this because: 

A: It's not a bad movie. 

B: I grew up a Pens fan in the 90s. 

C: Tombstone rules. 

He was also a dead-ringer for my best friend's dad. Who happens to be great friends with Mike Chioda, but that's another story all together. 

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for Sudden Death, at a time where I really got into NHL it was quite the movie to watch.  Plus Powers's character was such an evil scumbag you couldn't wait to see him get his.  And while I admittedly haven't seen too much from him outside of that he always struck me as a distinguished actor with a rather unique voice.  As for recent stuff I liked him in Shield working with Hive.

Sudden Death started as more of a Die Hard parody in the screenplay stage before becoming a more conventional action movie,  but you can tell the people who made it are in on the joke with stuff like the fight with the mascot. It's really fun and Boothe is indispensable as always. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck. Batmania had gripped the country again with the 89 movie when I was very young, and the show was on constant rotation on the Family Channel. West was just as much my first Batman as Keaton was. 

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Nyqvist, who starred in the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and was the villain in John Wick, has passed away at age 57 from complications from cancer.