DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIAM 2017

colonial

Yeah, I am saddened to hear about Nyqvist. I thoroughly enjoyed his work in the Dragon Tattoo movies even when Bloomqvist starts to play second fiddle to Lisbeth Salander.

He was also totally fucking awesome in John Wick and I was hoping that he'd hit his stride in American films.

RIP.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, RIPPA said:

Nelsan Ellis - best known for being on True Blood - passed away at the age of 39

He played Lafayette and was totally fucking awesome.  RIP.

Also, Randy Schell, the man behind promos for AMC's hit series "The Walking Dead," was killed on Saturday in a skydiving accident in Houston.

I just watched the docudrama about the Stanford Prison Experiment last week, and Nelson Ellis was tremendous as the ex-con brought in to give the test legitimacy. His performance delicately balances a disgust with the process of the study and a resentment towards the kids who fold so quickly in a simulation of what he went through for years. 

11 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Ji-Tu Cumbuka passed away on July 4th. He was known for his role in Roots, but probably best known as the toothless gambler on the beginning of Harlem Nights. 

Damn, Skillet from Blacula is dead?  Fuck..

RIP.

• Like 1

Night of the Living Dead is one of my all-time favorite movies and that extends beyond the horror genre. I strongly recommend Martin to anyone who hasn't seen it.  Thanks for not turning black people into stereotypes and easy killings for the monsters in your films, Mr. Romero.  It means more than he probably realized.

• Like 2

For such a fanboy I had no idea that George worked on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood in his early days until I read his obit in the paper. 

Some good friends posted photos of meeting him at horror cons on Facebook and they were lucky to get the chance. I wish I had the chance to just shake his hand and get that jovial grin myself, but alas, it isn't to be. RIP, George. 

And yes, it really doesn't get any better than "Now, no one gives two fucks for Bela". Actually, my favorite is this: 

EDIT: Whoops, Ray beat me to it

• Like 1

RIP to George Romero and Martin Landau.

I totally mindfarted on the fact that Landau turned down the role of Mr. Spock when the casting for the pilot for Star Trek went down.