DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIAM 2017

colonial

RIP to my homie Christopher Boykin aka the "Big" from Rob & Big.

Greek actress Mary Tsoni also passed away on Monday.  She was best known for her role as the oldest daughter in the 2009 surreal drama / thriller, Dogtooth; one of the more talked about pics for the DVDVR Movie Club.

Rob was 45 and Ms. Tsoni was 30.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's scene's where I got the $6 Jack reference from. Shame the whole thing isn't available in one clip online.

That movie introduced "goat fuck" and "Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them.  I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." into my cultural database.

• Like 4

Powers Boothe and Michael Parks in four fucking days is too much. That's two all-time great character actors that could scare the shit out of you just by talking.

• Like 1

I enjoyed him in the HBO run of Phillip Marlowe, Private Eye, and of course Boothe was a force of nature in Guyana Tragedy:  The Story of Jim Jones.

RIP

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, happjack said:

If you've never seen Southern Comfort check it out, Boothe is in the lead role in one of those movies that could only have been made in the late 70's/early 80's.

Holy fuck, Southern Comfort was beyond good.

• Like 2

Powers Boothe is such an awesome name that for years, I thought it a stage moniker.  Nope. That's his actual name. I politely blame Mr. Boothe for my ongoing fascination with the Guyana tragedy. He was amazing as Jim Jones, and from my childhood on, his performance stayed with me.

RIP.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I said this when Paxton died, but I really have to sit down and watch Frailty again.

Same here, I need to borrow a copy of it, or see if Family Video has one. 

And oh shit I had no idea he played Jim Jones! I need to see that yesterday.

68 is far too young to go. Powers Boothe was one of the finest actors in the English-speaking world, I've been sitting trying to think of a performance that he was less than superb in and not a single one comes to mind. From lead roles to short character stints, he could do it all and command attention no matter how small the role without  doing so at the expense of the rest of the cast. That's not just great acting, that's genius.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

I said this when Paxton died, but I really have to sit down and watch Frailty again.

I watched it again on Friday, and it's a great film. Can't say that enough.

John Cygan - who was a TV actor and did voiceover work in a TON of Pixar movies and video games - passed away

He voiced a bunch of characters in Regular Show in Space and also voiced Solidus Snake in MGS2 and was Canderous Ordo/Mandalore in the KOTOR games